Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello asking about Yes VM  (Read 1949 times)

Flatfroggy

• First Flush
Hello asking about Yes VM
« on: February 01, 2023, 01:31:21 PM »

I am 64 and post menopause which was manageable until recently.  I have a history of UTIs and after Covid and Moderna Booster (might not be related) I started having more frequent UTIs :(.  GP prescribed Vagifem and despite discomfort I tried to stay with it - after 6 weeks and feeling like I had vaginal sunburn I stopped :'(.  Since that time swabs have been clear, urology ultrasound and cystoscopy clear. Doing Kegels and only have a small issue if I sneeze or have a coughing fit (lucky I know).  I only drink water, a minimum of 2.5L per day.  I’ve stopped eating and drinking so many things.  Canestan didn’t do a great deal then I was given Yes VM.  I know Yes VM is supposed to be good but I am very red where it was used which also affected surrounding areas.  Now I’ve been prescribed a steroid ointment for 14 days.  Currently trying probiotic capsules to help after taking frequent ABs plus D-Mannose for UTIs. 

Has anyone had a reaction to any of the ingredients in Yes VM? 

Does D-Mannose help as a UTI deterrent?  I found cranberry juice helped when I was younger but not now. 

Thanks in advance for any responses.  :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 01:37:24 PM by Flatfroggy »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello asking about Yes VM
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 01:54:43 PM »

It isn't a urine infection but vaginal atrophy for which there are several treatments.  Some react to Vagifem, your GP or Nurse Practitioner should have advised 'ovestin' as an alternative.  There is also an over the counter treatment from Boots but I can't remember the name, it's advertised on TV sometimes.

Canestan is for thrush, it can aggravate the vagina otherwise.  Cranberry juice has no scientific background ;-) though it won't hurt.  We don't need as much liquid as we are told, that idea was pushed by the bottled water companies in the 1990s!   If your urine is straw coloured you are hydrated enough, any lighter and you are taking in too much.  What we forget is that the body absorbs water from foods too.

When I get the need2P I take 2 Nurofen 3 times a day to ease that nip as the urine flow stops.  Steroid on the vaginal area  :o  :o - I'm sure some1 will be along with thoughts on that one!

Sometimes there is a reaction to the fillers and out coating rather than the active ingredient. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 01:57:09 PM »

Hello Flatfroggy and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry to hear of the pain you are in. I think it is possible to have a bad reaction to anything so you could have reacted to Yes. When the skin is so sore anything can cause pain.

Perhaps you would find Ovestin cream more tolerable then vagifem. With it being a cream you can try a tiny bit to see how it goes.

What do you wash with? I switched from baths to showers and only use emoillent.

Dmannose can help if you have a certain bacteria. You can always email the company to ask if it will benefit you.

I am glad you have found us. You will find much support here. :)

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 03:23:50 PM »

It’s a shame you are sensitive to Vagifem, which means it’s a case of trial and error until you get a regime that suits you.
Ovestin cream would be the next to try but mix with a moisturiser, you could try mixing moisturiser with the Vagifem too. Start of gently until your body accepts the fillers in these treatments.
You have tried Yes, try Sylk and see if that is more acceptable to you.

Do a search on here, there are so many threads on this subject, you will end up with strained eyesight but you will find lots of answers, I found it such a great help in the past.

D-Mannose is good for keeping the bladder clean but you don’t have a UTI because everything is coming back clear, with the amount of water you are drinking your bladder should be clean, but agree with CLKD, you can drink too much water thus getting rid of the good bugs/enzymes too.

Flatfroggy

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 06:28:53 PM »

I have a mixed of urine test results - some return and show infection, the urine dip test shows raised lymphocytes or microscopic blood hence the tests them some ok.  It’s a minefield.

My GP is going down the dermatitis route.  Many years ago I had a reaction to the combined pill so took mini pill that suited.  I feel I don’t know my body anymore!

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 10:28:56 PM »

I can't tolerate YES VM but I'm ok with YES water base. I can't use anything with oil base either. It takes a while to find out what will suit you but I do think you need to try some form of local estrogen as moisturisers won't alone won't work.