Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Perimenopausal after breastfeeding?  (Read 4606 times)

Ada123

• First Flush
Perimenopausal after breastfeeding?
« on: February 01, 2023, 07:13:35 AM »

Hi everyone

I’ve suffered pretty bad with PPD - had hormonal issues all my life but post partum was BAD. I’ve quit BF 4 months ago and I’ve fallen off a cliff. Tried topical E and it helped for one cycle - this cycle it hasn’t. I’m scared there’s something seriously wrong with me. My sx are as follows

Nightmares and night sweats
Occasional hot flushes in the day
Paranoia sometimes
Intrusive thoughts
Anxiety
Depression
Depersonalisation and derealisation
Increased migraine activity
Irregular cycles - periods lasting 1-2 days or 4 to 5, cycles from 24 to 31 days (previously regular)
Agoraphobia
Feelings of doom
Feeling like my soul is gone
Needing help constantly with my kid (16 months)
Fear
Exhaustion - sometimes crashing

I get relief from these sx somewhat when I have my period. Then day 3 of new cycle it all starts up again

I’m 34 and my mum didn’t go through menopause until she was in her 50s - however I’m wondering if I am in peri, or, if not the stopping bf has triggered something similar. Are my symptoms similar to Peri? I have had extensive blood work - thyroid normal, iron normal (ferritin is a little sub optimal), all other bloods, MRIs, etc all normal. Haven’t had hormones checked yet.

I also had bad withdrawal syndrome from benzos but this was 9 months ago.

I feel so alone. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dierdre

Re: Perimenopausal after breastfeeding?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 08:58:41 AM »

When I finished breast feeding I felt similar for a few months.  I'd had 3 children in 3 and a half years and breast fed them all until they were over 1 year old. In all that time I only had 3 periods as I was either pregnant or breast feeding and at some points both. My hormone levels, especially estrogen were very low as I was not ovalating while feeding and at one point I was very dry vaginally and for a while had a slight prolapse, I was 28 years old.
My gynaecologist at the time said to be patient, my hormone levels would gradually go back up as I was now ovulating every month as not breast feeding and things would then get back to normal.
A hormone check may tell you more.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 09:00:35 AM by Dierdre »

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 09:27:33 AM »

Hi Ada123. I just wanted to welcome you and to let you know that we will do our best to help.

Taz x  :hug:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 09:52:52 AM »

BF = breast feeding?  How is the child now that the breast isn't being offered?

R U a single Mum?

Hopefully someone will suggest a support group for you to join in with.  Keep posting.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 10:13:11 AM »

Hello Adam 123 and welcome to the forum.

I too wonder if you are either peri or stopping breast feeding has induced something similar.
As you know hormones are powerful and it takes time to adjust to a new level.

Perhaps contact your doctor or practice nurse, you may only need a low dose of HRT to get you stable again.

Hopefully more ladies will be along to advise you.

Wishing you well and take care.

Take care.

K.

Ada123

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 10:20:31 AM »

When I finished breast feeding I felt similar for a few months.  I'd had 3 children in 3 and a half years and breast fed them all until they were over 1 year old. In all that time I only had 3 periods as I was either pregnant or breast feeding and at some points both. My hormone levels, especially estrogen were very low as I was not ovalating while feeding and at one point I was very dry vaginally and for a while had a slight prolapse, I was 28 years old.
My gynaecologist at the time said to be patient, my hormone levels would gradually go back up as I was now ovulating every month as not breast feeding and things would then get back to normal.

Thanks - I have stopped bf about 4 months ago and things still aren’t improving. I am having periods do something is coming back online but I feel totally nuts!! Thank you for responding to me. How long did it take for you to feel normal? Did you have similar issues after you had a period? It seems to be I’m super sensitive to fluctuations but not sure if that’s more due to an imbalance.

Ada123

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 10:27:13 AM »

BF = breast feeding?  How is the child now that the breast isn't being offered?

R U a single Mum?

Hopefully someone will suggest a support group for you to join in with. 
Keep posting.

Hey. She’s 16 months. I breastfed her till she was 11 months.

Not a single mum. Got lots of support but just feel like a basket case

Ada123

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 10:28:18 AM »

Hello Adam 123 and welcome to the forum.

I too wonder if you are either peri or stopping breast feeding has induced something similar.
As you know hormones are powerful and it takes time to adjust to a new level.

Perhaps contact your doctor or practice nurse, you may only need a low dose of HRT to get you stable again.

Hopefully more ladies will be along to advise you.

Wishing you well and take care.

Take care.

K.

Thanks for your message. Very kind. Do my symptoms fit hormonal imbalance? Have sent off a DUTCH cycle map to see what my hormones are doing and getting FSH tested today

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 11:32:30 AM »

That's hormones for you  >:(  ::).  Running after a toddler is exhausting anyway, without hormonal upheavals.

How were your periods B4 you fell pregnant?  This is probably more likely to be a reaction to child birth than peri-menopause.  Is there a Health Visitor or Gynaecologist with whom you could discuss?  R U in contact with any of the Mums who were at anti-natal?  MayB look to see if there are baby/toddler groups - our Library holds Mums/Tots weekly.  Might be worth while joining in and asking?

Ada123

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 01:59:24 PM »

Periods pre baby were regular - always 2 to 3 days and I didn’t really get much PMS, only when I had the copper IUD did I really lose my mind! But otherwise it’s been moderate PMS symptoms.

Have spoken to quite a few mums and really no one has exeperienced what I have - I seem to be extreme! I have read a few anecdotes online but that’s all really!  Haven’t got a gynaecologist only a GP who won’t refer me and says it all is anxiety - which I would agree with if it wasn’t for the night sweats and total mental fluctuations in symptoms which swing rapidly depending on where I am in my cycle.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 02:48:31 PM »

Can you change your GP or see a Nurse Practitioner at your Surgery?  I would also ask the Practice Manager why the GP refuses to refer you.  We are legally entitled to a 2nd opinion.  Of course, each referral costs!

MayB research your local NHS menopause clinics - we shouldn't have to pay for updated information but there are clinics that will actually listen as well as having good advice.

Dierdre

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 10:05:26 PM »

Thanks - I have stopped bf about 4 months ago and things still aren’t improving. I am having periods do something is coming back online but I feel totally nuts!! Thank you for responding to me. How long did it take for you to feel normal? Did you have similar issues after you had a period? It seems to be I’m super sensitive to fluctuations but not sure if that’s more due to an imbalance.
It took about 6 months to feel I was myself again and my periods became regular again. I did suffer badly with PMT, heavy periods and anxiety though for a couple of years, and three children under 4 years old was sometimes exhausting.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 10:16:50 PM by Dierdre »

Ada123

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2023, 10:19:20 AM »

Update

FSH is 5.1, so I am not perimenopausal.  I have had Adrenals come back as in stage 2/3 (if thats even a diagnosis).

I am slightly disappointed I am not in peri as it means I dont really have any idea of what might be going on.  I have found B6 and DIM to be somewhat helpful but I am still not really functioning.

Any ideas? I am waiting on the results of a DUTCH test to see what my cycle is doing.

Dierdre

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2023, 11:37:25 AM »

Could this be post natal depression? Anxiety also causes night sweats and a whole lot of other stuff.
You can still get this, it's not just something after giving birth.
Is there a midwife at your surgery or at the baby clinic you can talk to.

Ada123

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2023, 08:51:06 AM »

I’m sure it is but I also feel that a lot of PND is hormonal - I’ve now tried 11 SSRIS and other antidepressants and can’t tolerate them or they make me worse after giving them the 2 months they require to work. So I’m out of ideas on what to do next
Pages: [1] 2