Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Really confused about this horrible symptom *warning*  (Read 1084 times)

loonarider

Really confused about this horrible symptom *warning*
« on: January 31, 2023, 02:03:30 PM »

Hello,

Haven't posted in a while. Hope you're all well or at least coping in some way.

For the past two weeks all day everyday I've been suffering with horrible mucus in my throat. I can't think what triggered it. I've even stopped eating dairy, spices, fatty foods. I have give my diet a complete overhaul. Still no change.

I've had this before but it was first the trimester (I lost 3 stone because of it, just couldn't eat due to the mucus) and there was your typical morning sickness added to it. Hell.

It's grotesque, but I'll describe it as best as I can.

It's like there's a very thick blob of mucus that won't shift at the back of my throat which causes me to gag and heave. Thick, clear mucus starts pouring out of my mouth. It takes me a good 5 minutes to clear it, then the mucus builds again in my throat. This build up happens literally every few seconds, all day and night.

Now, I've had everything checked. No GERD, no history of post nasal drip and I've tried nasal sprays, saline rinses, steam, decongestants. You name it, I've exhausted every possible remedy.

This is getting me down as I'm constantly spitting into tissue paper and have gotten through so much. It also prevents me from sleeping (I sleep almost vertically) as it builds up through the night -nothing seems to work. My days and nights are unbearable.

I haven't left the house because of it because I cannot talk, as my mouth fills up with this clear thick mucus, so have to literally be near a sink all day or be spittng in tissues all day and night.

When I try to clear this stuff, it literally dangles from my throat. A never-ending stream of thick mucus which makes me gag. I'm just in tears as its so unbearable and I keep asking myself why I deserve this. At this point all the many symptom's of Peri I've had to deal with pales in comparison. I'd take that right now over this :(

I honestly think this may be due to hormonal fluctuations because I suffered the same with two pregnancies in the first trimester. The only difference is this time, I'm not pregnant.

My periods are also irregular (not had one for 2 months). I have a mirena coil for progesterone and use lenzetto spray - 1 dose in the morning, but have now moved to two doses (one at night also) in case it's low estrogen symptoms. Or it could be the coil causing this?

I'm confused and this is really getting me down. I've not done anything for 2 weeks except lie in bed spitting out this neverending gunk.

Again, I'm not pregnant. Baffled and want it gone and it seems no one has experienced this.  :'(

If someone has here, please let me know if you've a miracle cure x
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:18:28 PM by loonarider »

Flossieteacake

Re: Really confused about this horrible symptom *warning*
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 02:06:52 PM »

I am so sorry you are going through this. It sounds so distressing. I see you had this when you were pregnant so I would think you are right to say it is likely hormonal. I am sorry but I have no advice and just wanted to say I am sorry this is happening.

loonarider

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 02:13:46 PM »

Thank you Flossieteacake x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 02:28:01 PM »

It could be silent reflux.  What medications have you tried?  I get a lot of clearing throat issues - I have a capsule in the mornings which helps a bit.  Can't remember the name, sorry  :-\

Your GP could refer you to a dedicated NHS menopause clinic - there is a waiting list in most areas. 

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 02:28:27 PM »

Excess saliva isn't unknown ........ mayB an ENT Consultant appt.?

loonarider

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 02:58:07 PM »

Hi there,

Excess mucus :(

I failed having an endoscopy due to having a panic attack when they numbed my throat and they begun pushing the tube down my throat :'(

Wish there was a way that wasn't so uncomfortable 😣. Rock and a hard place as desperate for a solution.

What pill do you take? What makes this nightmarish is, it doesn't ease at all 😓

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 03:00:34 PM »

Omeprazolol and there are others in the same 'family'.  Do you have a dentist to whom you could chat about this?  Could it be a 'stone' in a salivary gland causing over activity?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 03:23:11 PM »

Hi there,

I failed having an endoscopy due to having a panic attack when they numbed my throat and they begun pushing the tube down my throat :'(

Wish there was a way that wasn't so uncomfortable 😣. Rock and a hard place as desperate for a solution.

What a horrid experience that was. You can ask for it to be done under anestetic if you wished to.

loonarider

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 03:31:02 PM »

Omeprazolol and there are others in the same 'family'.  Do you have a dentist to whom you could chat about this?  Could it be a 'stone' in a salivary gland causing over activity?

Ah I have Omeprazole. Take one in the morning at night. Unfortunately, doesn't make a difference.

Never thought of a dentist. I'll have to look into that. Thank you CKLD

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 04:04:29 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

loonarider

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 04:29:44 PM »

Hi there,

What a horrid experience that was. You can ask for it to be done under anestetic if you wished to.

Oh that's good to know! I'm surprised they didn't offer it after my reaction to doing it without. X

loonarider

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 04:32:14 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

I will do 😪