Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Social media - real name policies  (Read 1868 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Social media - real name policies
« on: January 30, 2023, 08:59:45 PM »

Apparently the Times has instigated a 'real name' policy on their social media platforms.  OK if it lessens trolls etc., however: in a Forum such as this and probably others, I wouldn't join if I had to be open about who I am.  I feel safe being who I choose to be, a couple of times I've been 'guessed' but the persons haven't pursued finding out exactly.

How do others feel?  Personal, intimate problems as well as admitting to depression and anxiety have been a huge issue for me - so being anonymous has helped me find my way to healing and moving forwards.

Flossieteacake

Re: Social media - real name policies
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 09:11:10 PM »

I can understand that CLKD. If I had to use my real name on here then I would not post either. I cannot see forums insisting on real names though. Forums are always anonymous and some even refuse to allow a person to use their real name of post a picture of themselves.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 09:44:52 PM »

There was talk a few months ago about making a Law that we all had to be open on all media platforms  :o

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 10:09:09 PM »

There was talk a few months ago about making a Law that we all had to be open on all media platforms  :o

I cannot see that happening on forums though. Nobody would be able to talk freely. :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 07:28:24 AM »

There would be no point to forums such as this one if you had to say who you really are. You need anonymity to be honest otherwise what would be the point? If I could open up to others in ‘real’ life as I have here, then I wouldn’t have needed the anonymity here. And it is monitored. Any trolling is dealt with. We are social here, but does it really come under the same banner as Facebook, Twitter etc? There are real issues of trolling with these platforms. I do have a Facebook account, but have opted for privacy with no personal info about me made public.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 09:55:43 AM »

Hello ladies.

Most people are polite and respectful on this site but there has been bullying in the past so using a false name hasn't prevented that. We are fortunate to have a very good moderator who has sanctioned members who were being abusive.

I will continue to use the name of one of my Aunts (Kathleen) but whenever I PM someone I include my real name as that feels more intimate somehow.

Bullying etc is a problem on other social media I understand so changes are worth considering.

Take care ladies.

K.

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 11:59:38 AM »

How would they know if it's your real name or not?

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 12:18:52 PM »

Good point.  It probably said in the article  ::) : address etc..

getting_old

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 05:49:21 PM »

Unless they are asking for photos and birth certificates they really can't be certain you are providing the correct information, and that opens up an entire data privacy conversation, and I can't see how they will be able to justify such requirements for what's effectively "letters to the editor".

I can understand that they want to limit trolling, etc. but from things I've seen on various online newspapers and other social media the current methods to filter bad stuff out are very poor. Maybe in time they'll improve, but for now, according to an article I read a few weeks ago, you cannot sell your "snow bunny ski pants" on facebook  ;)