Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy?  (Read 2285 times)

Ayesha

Re: Vaginal Atrophy?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 12:06:12 PM »

If VA didn't affect any woman at 50 years old and over, why then can you buy treatment over the counter for women over 50.
Your GP is completely uneducated when it comes to this condition and menopause symptoms in general it seems!

Very unnecessary but unfortunately you are going to have to put in a complaint, get a second opinion, get in touch with the Menopause Society or someone with knowledge of VA. You can't be denied treatment on the NHS if you need it, it's totally bonkers and to be honest scary the ignorance out there when it comes to some doctors. 

Mrstomhardy50

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 02:19:08 PM »

I'm so upset I don't know where to turn. Noone really understands, think hubby is getting fed up with me crying and complaining. Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 02:28:48 PM »

U have us!

Make notes.  Take down the advice and talk it over with DH?

Also print off advice for husbands from the Forum, read and hand over.  Do get a copy of Jane's book 'me and my menopausal vagina'.

Minusminnie

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2023, 02:41:32 PM »

As you are nearly 50 and as Ayesha has mentioned you can get Gina pessaries for va over the counter which are the equivalent to vagifem.  I’ve seen them behind the tills in Boots. If it was me if challenged I would emphasise that I was nearly 50 what difference does a few months make ?   You shouldn’t have to pay but if you are successful with them the GP may then prescribe Vagifem. May be a route to getting a prescription.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2023, 05:29:24 PM »

I'm so upset I don't know where to turn. Noone really understands, think hubby is getting fed up with me crying and complaining. Xx

Like CLKD said, you have us. We understand how horrid and lonely this can be. I have a feeling your husband does not really understand what you are going through.

This is the link to the advice for husbands:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2458.0.html

Minusminnie makes a good point about trying to get Gina over the counter too.

Cara999

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2023, 08:00:34 PM »

I'm peri menopausal and have it, I'm 47. Perhaps see of you can speak to a different doctor of maybe a nurse. It's a joke, do they seriously think we'd make this discomfort up. I struggled to get it at first, had everything else thrown at me. It's so annoying. Sending love amd don't give up xxxx

suzysunday

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2023, 08:45:02 PM »

Really angry on your behalf mrstom. You need vagifem or ovestin local hrt for atrophy and soon.  Don't know what to advise about your ridiculous gp.  It's so distressing this atrophy without daft docs.  I was mortified when I found I had it but use ovestin alternate nights and sex is fine now.  It takes a while to get under control.  I feel so angry for you.

Ecl

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2023, 11:19:05 PM »

Hi, I really feel for you right now, I don’t know your local situation re doctors but is there someone else in your practice you can see? Or is there another practice nearby you could switch to? If not then you can go down the complaint route or try and get a private consultation which could be done online if you’ve none near you, they may then be prepared to tell your gp what to prescribe. Many of us live with VA and are in peri and have local oestrogen from our GP so yours is particularly behind the times, I am not surprised you feel so frustrated, but we are here and know how it feels. Keep pestering your gp, keep a diary of symptoms, and take along a copy of the nhs guidelines on va to your next appointment.

Ayesha

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2023, 10:53:40 AM »

If you are feeling a lot of discomfort because of your symptoms then your doctor has a duty of care to help you with whatever medications are needed. I honestly believe your GP is being negligent, you shouldn’t be left to suffer.

I hope you get it all sorted out, keep us updated. X

Pages: 1 [2]