Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vaginal Atrophy?  (Read 2286 times)

Mrstomhardy50

Vaginal Atrophy?
« on: January 30, 2023, 11:39:06 AM »

Hello lovelies,

I'm new here and am almost 50 and peri menopausal.  I have many symptoms however I believe I have vaginal atrophy.  I've tried so many over the counter remedies (including even sudocrem in desperation) bit nothing really helps.
Around 3 years ago I was experiencing post coital bleeding which was investigated but never resolved I believe was possibly as a result of vaginal atrophy.
I've reached out to my gp today and have asked about the possibility of topical oestrogen however I'm not holding my breath, particularly as I asked my gp about HRT around 18 months ago and she basically dismissed it and said I couldn't stay on it forever and that menopause is basically part of life.

Any advice tips would be so welcome from fellow sufferers. I am becoming so depressed about it, embarrassed and just want some relief.

Thank you for reading xxx

Flossieteacake

Re: Vaginal Atrophy?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 11:48:47 AM »

Hello. I am so sorry you are being denied treatment. Is it possible to make a complaint? I know you are in a village and there are no other practices. I did mention on your first post you may be able to buy a pessary called Gina.

I will tell you what I have found helpful for VA. I stopped having baths and switched to showers. I stopped using any shower gel and switched to emollient. I like Aproderm but you can use any you like. I apply emollient to the vulva before my shower, wash it off in the shower and then reapply some after to act as a barrier.

I have found taking seabuckthorn capsules can help the dryness too. I like Yes and Sylk vaginal moisturisers and apply when needed.

You have nothing to be embarrassed about. You are suffering with a very common symptom that many members on here have, including me. We will support you. :)

Ayesha

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 12:18:25 PM »

If there are no medical reasons why you should not have HRT then you should demand it. Speak to your MP, that's what she/he gets paid for, and explain you are being refused treatment.

You need VA treatment before it gets to the chronic stage.  I use Vagifem pessary, small amount of Ovestin cream for the outside and a good moisturiser, Yes or Sylk products are the best. This is my regime every day. 

Your GP's attitude is astounding and shocking, women do not have to suffer any more from crippling menopause symptoms.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 12:21:24 PM »

Change your GP and report to the Practice Manager and British Menopause Society?  That GP is remiss! and uneducated.  [not another 1  >:( ]

Her time will come  ;D.   Ring the surgery and ask for a referral to a dedicated NHS menopause Clinic, not a Gyane Dept as they don't know much more than some GPs seem to!

VA can be treated successfully with appropriate medication which you can ask for, you don't need an examination.  MayB let the Practice manager know of this site ;-).  Let us know how you get on.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 12:23:30 PM by CLKD »

Mrstomhardy50

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 05:08:31 PM »

Thank you so much for your really useful replies to my post.  You would think having a female Dr around the same age she would be more understanding but no...!
I do tend to have alot of baths so I will certainly stick to showers from now on. I'm waiting to hear from the drs I had to put in an online request so who knows when they will get back to me.
I've written the names down of the suggested medications so I will remember to mention that too. Xx

Mousie

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 05:14:31 PM »

So sorry that your dr is being so dismissive with you. Just makes you feel worse as you are already knocked for 6 discovering you are suffering with it without having to battle to get treatment.
I think I'm right in saying if you look at the NICE guidelines for drs it says to offer estrogen and moisturisers. I googled a lot when I first discovered VA and basically self diagnosed. If needs be look up the guidelines, print them out and take them in to your appointment with you. Don't ask, tell the dr you are expecting her/him to prescribe ovestin or vagifem as per the guidelines and that it also says it is a lifelong condition.

I too was shocked and upset when I discovered I had it but thankfully mine doesn't cause me some of the problems others have to cope with....so I am thankful for that. What helped me was researching and reading others experiences here and elsewhere (there is a Facebook group specifically for VA) and asking advice.
Knowledge can be powerful for peace of mind.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 05:23:43 PM »

Thank you so much for your really useful replies to my post.  You would think having a female Dr around the same age she would be more understanding but no...!
I do tend to have alot of baths so I will certainly stick to showers from now on. I'm waiting to hear from the drs I had to put in an online request so who knows when they will get back to me.
I've written the names down of the suggested medications so I will remember to mention that too. Xx

You are so welcome. Good luck with getting the treatments. It is so sad how your GP is not understanding.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 06:56:15 PM »

It's disgusting that GPs aren't listening to their patients and refusing to prescribe appropriately!

Buy a copy of "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" by a Forum Member - available on Amazon.  Read, hand to your GP Manager ;-).  That's what I did a few years ago.   ;)  8)

Cara999

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 08:00:08 PM »

Don't take no for an answer. It's disgusting 😒. Without the correct medication it will only get worse. Good luck xxx

flossie fiddler

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 09:43:32 AM »

I hate how we have to fight for HRT due to uninformed doctors. I had a similar experience, where I wanted to go back on HRT after a 2.5 year break, but the doc told me I couldn’t as I’m now ‘through the menopause’. She was giving me outdated info regarding the risks and length of time we can be on HRT. In the end she gave me a 4 week supply just to shut me up.

I did put in a formal complaint with the practice manager, who was brilliant, and got me an appointment at another practice with a dedicated HRT nurse, who is really clued up and brilliant. I would do a bit of research, look at British Menopause site, and have a good look around on here so that you can be armed with info for another appointment.

Regarding the VA, I found that Vagifem helped a little bit but not enough. Sex was always painful, with bleeding after due to trauma. YES products helped a bit too. But now I’m back on HRT which includes the Vagifem, patches and pills, I can have spontaneous intimacy.

Good luck, and don’t give up.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 06:25:41 PM by flossie fiddler »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 10:23:29 AM »

:thankyou:  4 the update Flossie fiddler.   :foryou: and your OH ;-).  It shouldn't be this difficult  >:(

flossie fiddler

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 06:26:49 PM »

Made me smile, thank you

:thankyou:  4 the update Flossie fiddler.   :foryou: and your OH ;-).  It shouldn't be this difficult  >:(

Mrstomhardy50

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 10:07:09 AM »

My GP has responded and said I'm unlikely to have vaginal atrophy in peri menopause? Your thoughts?? Xx

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 11:35:23 AM »

Change your GP and report to the British Menopause Society.

Ignorant  ****  >:(. When does he/she expect VA to begin then?  Buy. him/her a copy of 'Me and My Menopausal Vagina', written by a Forum Member.  Available on Amazon.  Go on, I dare you  :D

Is there a Nurse Practitioner to talk with?  In the meantime request a referral to a dedicated NHS Menopause Clinic - not a gynae. - or ring round to see if you can self refer 'cos that GP probably won't believe that you need to see someone with more knowledge.

I am spitting bricks!  There is an option to pay for an answer from Dr Currie: which you could show to your Practice Manager and the GP Staff.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 11:42:38 AM »

My GP has responded and said I'm unlikely to have vaginal atrophy in peri menopause? Your thoughts?? Xx

Sorry to say but this is a very uneducated response from your GP. I have VA and I am in peri. It can happen at any time.
Pages: [1] 2