Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 1034 times)

Sharon2302

• First Flush
Hi everyone
« on: January 31, 2023, 03:01:16 PM »

Hi, I'm 48 years of age and have been having menopausal symptoms for the past 18-24 months. Aching joints, hot flushes, bloating, itchy skin, fatigue, low moods etc etc. I had a radical hysterectomy about 11 years ago and was not given any advice on menopause, it wasn't even mentioned to me at any check ups I had post op. I've never had any symptoms following the hysterectomy up until around 24 months ago and I put a lot of those down to being stuck at home more often and stress at work, if only I'd known half of these symptoms were related to menopause. I tried to get my hormone levels checked but my GP advised that due to my age, they wouldn't do it but she sent off blood samples anyway. They didn't test it and now trying to get an appointment with my GP is a nightmare! Has anyone else had a hysterectomy and only feeling symptoms of menopause years after it? Am I the only one?

jaypo

Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 03:30:12 PM »

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
I had a hysterectomy in my 40s and meno didn't hit til my early 50s BUT my ovaries were left,yet the Drs said meno would hit quicker but no,op was at age 46,meno started at about 52

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 04:11:27 PM »

Hi!  as oestrogen levels drop they can cause the symptoms you describe.

HRT may well help, certainly protects bones and heart.  Consultants still don't discuss possible HRT requirements with patients  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Dryness: inside and out; skin, scalp, between the toes, vagina, deep in the ears, nostrils eyes  ::)  can be treated with various moisturisers: do read 'bladder issues' and any threads about vaginal atrophy.  Also muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  It's The Change - does what it says on the tin  ::)

Nowt is taboo!  Ask away.

Sharon2302

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 06:08:15 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome  :)

I didn't know about the ears, I've been having pain and a lot of dry skin on one ear for the past few weeks  ;D I'm learning more and more symptoms every day! So glad I found this site, so much support and advice all in one place  :thankyou:

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 06:17:17 PM »

If your ovaries were removed there's no doubt your menopausal. Even with ovaries the advice is to go on symptoms, blood tests are unreliable because of your own peak and troughs. There are some people who sail through menopause without symptoms then get them years later so you're not alone. Even without symptoms the advice is to take hrt at least until 'normal' meno age to protect your bones and heart. Have a look at the Advice for Husbands pinned post for other symptoms you may not have associated with meno.