Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vaping  (Read 4707 times)

Law

Vaping
« on: January 29, 2023, 03:19:22 PM »

Hi,
I’m a vaper & I wondered if anyone else on here is.
Does anyone notice if there symptoms sometimes get worse when you’ve vaped.
I have back pain & sometimes it seems worse when I’ve used my vape.
Lisa

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vaping
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 06:21:53 PM »

Firstly: look into all the Scientific peer-reviewed evidence as to how 'safe' vaping might be/not.  Because my friend, a Pharmacist, can't find any evidence relating to vaping as a whole.  MayB each individual chemical has research behind it, however: putting these together is a different issue.  There are no long-term research papers. 

Pity that those that vape aren't invited to be involved in long-term Research.  Patches are probably a better way to go, under the supervision of the NHS?

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 06:51:33 PM »

Hi Law.

I vaped for around three weeks, couldn’t continue 1st time around as they caused terrible ulcers in my mouth, it was agony, so gave up.
Then I tried it again not so long ago, and altho I had one sore ulcer, which was better than the first time, I continued, but, I started to feel depressed, so whether that was due to my hrt, or not getting what I needed from the vapes, I don’t know, so I gave up. 🤷🏼‍♀️  when I did have a cigarette, I noticed my mood changed almost straight away, so thinking about it, it must’ve been the vaping making me feel so down.

I saw new information the other day actually, it said vaping was just as bad as smoking. Also, they don’t really know yet what vaping CAN cause, in the long term. We all know smoking causes lots of diseases, but they don’t know exactly what the vapes can cause.
Vaping isn’t for everyone, it either suits you or it doesn’t, it obviously didn’t suit me, maybe your the same, 🤷🏼‍♀️ try giving up, or go back to cigarettes, see if anything improves.
Better still, try some nicotine patches, and stop for good. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I will one day soon I think, I’m on that road to stop for good. xx
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 06:58:37 PM by jillydoll »

Law

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 07:27:17 PM »

I gave up the cigarettes a few years ago & I’ve been vaping ever since. The vaping has worked well for me it’s only since I became peri menopausal that I’ve started to feel awful. I’m down to 1% nicotine liquid & do intend to stop this year.
I’m really struggling with the symptoms, hrt didn’t work for me & I feel awful everyday. My medical anxiety seems to be getting worse. I have nobody to talk to about this xx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 07:47:17 PM »

You have us!
What did U begin HRT for, can you remember which symptom you wanted to ease first?

Which HRT have you tried, for how long and which side effect made you give up?  There are several ways of delivering HRT .... so try not to give up.

Smoking is a habit more than an addiction: a person who wakes in the night, several times for a fag, can call themselves addicts.  If however, one sleeps through without requiring a drag, it's more likely to be a habit of when, where, who with ......... the Chest Physician for whom I worked suggested that people make lists of when they reached for a cigarette : where they were etc..  The idea then was to keep a diary for 2 weeks then alter their habits, replacing the ciggie/cigar with another occupation.  Going for a walk with a friend, taking up a hobby in a no-smoking area.

Let us know how you get on. 

Amazing grace

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 08:52:37 PM »

Hi law, firstly well done for quitting smoking that’s no easy task , whilst the dangers of vaping are not fully known , a lot of doctors have openly said vaping is better than smoking cigarettes far less chemicals and no tar in vapes , I read on bbc news a while back that the NHS is actually considering prescribing vapes as a means to help smokers quit , I was a smoker and now vape I can’t say it makes my symptoms worse as such but  I do find vaping for me personally can give me stomach cramps and nausea sometimes maybe caused by vaping too much probably related to nicotine in it, I’d probably say your symptoms are more related to peri menopause , I’m the same as you I feel rubbish everyday, my health anxiety is high right now and I’ve been on hrt 5 years thinking of finally quitting now as it’s never been much good for me, I go through phases of feeling reasonably ok and then feeling absolutely awful for weeks/months on end  what symptoms are you struggling with? Is it mostly anxiety have you ever tried anti anxiety meds? You are not alone with feeling the way you do it’s a really horrible time of life for so many of us xx

Law

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 09:01:16 PM »

I had a long list of symptoms. Hot flushes, night sweats, anxiety, depression, change of body odour, dry eyes, fatigue, back pain, aches & pains.
I was on Evorel Sequi patches for 3 & 1/2 months. I couldn’t take the stomach & breast pain & it made my back pain worse.
My doctor did mention trying tablets as well as patches but it’s having to wait 3 months to get the full benefit that I couldn’t do.
I tend to vape after I’ve eaten, stressed or bored.
I don’t have the energy for much anymore. I work long hours & on my days off I just want to stay in bed. I can’t be bothered to cook proper food & my diet is terrible

Law

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 09:04:35 PM »

Hi law, firstly well done for quitting smoking that’s no easy task , whilst the dangers of vaping are not fully known , a lot of doctors have openly said vaping is better than smoking cigarettes far less chemicals and no tar in vapes , I read on bbc news a while back that the NHS is actually considering prescribing vapes as a means to help smokers quit , I was a smoker and now vape I can’t say it makes my symptoms worse as such but  I do find vaping for me personally can give me stomach cramps and nausea sometimes maybe caused by vaping too much probably related to nicotine in it, I’d probably say your symptoms are more related to peri menopause , I’m the same as you I feel rubbish everyday, my health anxiety is high right now and I’ve been on hrt 5 years thinking of finally quitting now as it’s never been much good for me, I go through phases of feeling reasonably ok and then feeling absolutely awful for weeks/months on end  what symptoms are you struggling with? Is it mostly anxiety have you ever tried anti anxiety meds? You are not alone with feeling the way you do it’s a really horrible time of life for so many of us xx
I haven’t thought of taking anti anxiety meds. That might be worth a try.
I’ve had a mammogram & a chest X-ray & all is ok xx

Amazing grace

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 09:31:31 PM »

Hi law, hrt can be really difficult to get right and definitely isn’t for everyone although there are other forms of hrt you could try maybe a different one would suit you better but I totally get it’s difficult to ride out the side effects sometimes it can feel like it causes more problems, if trying another hrt isn’t a route you want to take definitely have a talk with your gp about anti anxiety meds when peri first hit me it was anti anxiety meds that really helped me sometimes we definitely need help to get the anxiety under control, there’s nothing to lose by having a talk with your doctor about trying one , glad your mammogram and chest X-ray was all clear, xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 09:41:40 PM »

It may be that vaping interacts with some forms of HRT. 

Bachs rescue remedy can help anxiety.  Betablockas - I was prescribed to ease early morning surges which left me terrified  :-\ :'(.  I've taken ADs since 1988 and various forms of anti-anxiety medication.  'valium' as necessary helped a lot for several years: 5mg the evening prior to an event that I was unable to get out of, knowing that I could take 5mg the next day which I never required.  Good effects would last 2-3 days and got me out of intense problems.

Deep breathing relaxation.  Gentle walking.  Eating well.  R U depressed, a symptom is not getting out of bed.  Intense lethargy can also be caused by low VitD levels, mayB get your GP to do appropriate blood tests to check levels.  Capsules certainly helped get me back onto my feet a couple of years ago and I am in the ☀️ a lot.

As for waiting 3 months : sometimes benefit is felt sooner, though it may take a few months for the body to adjust to decide if the regime is working or whether it requires tweaking.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and threads about vaginal atrophy for which treatment is essential to ease symptoms as well as keeping the vaginal area healthy.

Some find that keeping a list of symptoms/diet etc. helpful.  When I was ill I found that making a list each evening enabled me to see the next day what I had actually achieved, rather than worrying about what hadn't got done!  Let us know how you get on.

sheila99

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 12:19:45 AM »

As your symptoms aren't under control I think you need a higher dose of oestrogen. Did you anxiety arrive with peri or is it a long standing problem? If it came with peri imo the best cure is to replace the oestrogen you no longer produce yourself, if you had it before you may well need ads too. My worst symptoms were anxiety and insomnia so I know how awful it is. Mine went after 3 months on HRT. There are other forms of hrt you can try that may suit you better.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 09:19:37 AM »

Morning - how R U Law?

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 10:39:07 AM »

Yes, I don’t think your low nicotine intake has anything to do with how you’re feeling.
You need to try hrt again. And or anxiety meds.
You also need to eat properly, not eating makes anxiety worse. I know that for a fact.
All your pains and symptoms are probably related to low oestrogen, and there are lots of different HRT’s to try.
Your mood will lift, your pains will subside, you’ll find your appetite again, and you’ll feel so much better.
You just have to summon up the energy to get to the docs and try it.
Just hang on in there, you have us here to ask anything, and to PM if you need to.
There is a light at the end of that tunnel, you’ve just got to get that ball rolling.
Well done stopping smoking aswell, that’s a massive achievement in itself! 🥇

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2023, 12:30:07 PM »

I agree with jillydoll.  Eat: little and often.  Rubbish if necessary, anything to get the gut spasm rolling properly which will provide sustenance and eventually energy.  Been there, as a recovering anorexic it's really hard  :-\  :'(

Get into sunshine if possible.  Sit.  Listen to the surrounding noises.  Focus on 1 thing i.e. birds chattering. 

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 07:08:09 PM »

Interesting News articles this evening, how vaping is contributing to gum disease = tooth loss.  Apparently drying out the mouth allows germs to congregate due to lack of saliva which continually cleanses the mouth/throat.

Drying of the body is common as oestrogen levels drop: inside and out. 
Pages: [1] 2 3