Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: High Testosterone Levels. Please help  (Read 594 times)

Banjo1973

High Testosterone Levels. Please help
« on: March 15, 2024, 08:31:41 PM »

Hi,

I have been on HRT for over 2 years (originally oestrogel and utrogestan) and added testosterone (Tostran) about a year ago.

At my best I was on 3 pumps of old Oestrogel and a small blob of testosterone. If I took too much testosterone, my skin got a bit greasy with a spots, so I reduced a bit. I then nosedived on new Oestrogel am now fairy settled on 2mg of Sandrena as my oestrogen component. While adjusting to this new regime I found I needed more testosterone. Anyway, I had my hormone levels checked last week...

Oestrogen is 587

Serum testosterone 2.8

Serum sex hormne
binding glob.   176.8 nmol/L€

Free androgen index.  1.6

Please can someone advise?

My free andogen is within range. But the others are too high.

sfreesto

Re: High Testosterone Levels. Please help
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 06:15:17 AM »

Your SHBG is above the normal range and your FAI is below the normal range. The SHBG binds testosterone from the serum and clears the excess from your body. The unbound testosterone is the part that is active in your body, and FAI is a measure of how much is unbound and able to be active. So your testosterone might be high but the amount you have in your body that is available to act is low because of your higher SHBG.

Hollyboll

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 07:31:51 AM »

Hi. The bms changed its guidelines a couple of years ago to focus on total testn not shbg/fai

https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/08-BMS-TfC-Testosterone-replacement-in-menopause-DEC2022-A.pdf

Hth x
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 07:34:46 AM by Hollyboll »

Banjo1973

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 09:46:44 AM »

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I think I was in such a state when I got my results back I didn't make much sense!!

Prior to starting testosterone, these were my results:

Serum testosterone  0.9 nmol/l

binding glob  138.5 nmol/l

Free androgen index  0.6

My new ones are below:

Serum testosterone 2.8

binding glob.   176.8 nmol/L

Free androgen index.  1.6

In the past, when I have taken too much testosterone, it showed up pretty quickly, greasy hair and a red flat spot somewhere on my forehead. Very distinctive!!! And an instant indicator to reduce my T dose.

But, since messing around with my new oestrogen, I found that my hair was never greasy, I had great skin, but i was mentally wooly and getting a bit flabby around the middle, so I assumed I needed more Testosterone. I upped my dose, great mental clarity and strength in the gym. No spots or greasy hair. Anyway. I went for bloods (mainly because I've been asked on this forum about my levels on Oestrogen) and was horrified my my T results. I do not want to give T up. Is there any way I can reduce my serum and binding testosterone levels so that my FAI stays at a good level (1.6 is a good level)

Obviously im going to reduce my dose a bit, but any other suggestions would be very much appreciated xxxx
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 10:19:34 AM by Banjo1973 »