Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan bloating  (Read 1393 times)

rabt

Utrogestan bloating
« on: January 29, 2023, 06:47:44 PM »

Hi everyone

I’m perimenopausal and switched to Oestrogel (1 pump daily) about 3-4 weeks ago  from Estradot patches 50mg. I also take Utrogestan 100 from day 15-26 2 tablets a day. I’ve been feeling not too bad mood wise but I think it may be the progesterone that causes bloating. I forgot to take two tablets the first 4 days so have resumed again today. What I wanted to ask is that I’ve heard that you can use Utrogestan vaginally. I’ve not discussed this with my Dr (very difficult to get am appointment here) and I know it’s not licensed for vaginal use but any advice would be gratefully received. I’ve been bloated from the start of my HRT journey. The Dr has changed me from tablets to patches and now to the gel but I think maybe the progesterone might be the issue. I’m willing to give it a go. I do loads of exercise and eat really well but my body in the second half of the month looks weird. My stomach is distended like I’m pregnant as soon as I eat anything and bloated anyway. If I take Utrogestan vaginally do I use 2 tablets or 1. What would be the effect of dropping to 1 tablet vaginally? Im worried about the risk of cancer of thickening of the womb lining if I don’t take enough. It’s such a minefield and I can’t afford to go private to get proper tests done.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 06:52:18 PM by rabt »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan bloating
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 07:50:56 PM »

Progesterone can cause lots of problems.  It's given to keep the womb healthy: however.  I'm sure that someone will be along regarding the vaginal option.

I hated that bloating  >:(.  By mid-day I couldn't keep my skirt zip done up  :o

rabt

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 08:00:25 PM »

I know. I’m the same. I go to work and have soup and fruit at lunch and bingo I look 6 months pregnant. I seem to have developed like a bloated back as well. I’ve never had these issues. I’ve always had a flat stomach and strong back. I just don’t get it

Mogster71

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 08:18:15 PM »

Progesterone can cause bloating although it did settle down for me.
What I am reading from your post is that you have gone from 50mg of oestrogen down to one pump of oestrogel, which is effectively halving the dose. Was that deliberate or did you feel ok on the 50mg Estradot? It may be why you are feeling imbalanced if you were already settled on the 50.

rabt

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 09:54:48 PM »

The Dr switched me to the gel. I had been feeling really tired and she ran blood tests and said if they come back fine and you want to try the gel just call up. She said she prescribe it without seeing me.  I thought it was a big reduction. She did said say some people like the gel as it gives them more control so they can add a bit more if they feel they need it. I have no idea whether to add more or not. I haven’t been so tired but I got a vitamin b injection privately two weeks ago so wasn’t sure now if that’s helped. As I said I forgot to take 2 Utrogestan and taken 1 until today. I remembered today and took another this evening after taking the first this morning and an hour later had to go for a sleep as I suddenly felt like my eyes were shutting. I’m just not sure anyone how I’m supposed to feel. Maybe she put me on one pump of oestrogen to see if I would tolerate it. I just don’t know how I’m supposed to feel if everything is working okay. I am 52 in two weeks and I still have regular (very heavy) periods. Im not sure if I should be on higher oestrogen or not and if now I’m on a lower dose I should still be on higher progesterone. So confused. Sorry for the rant