Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Belly swelling  (Read 1491 times)

Nikki218

• First Flush
Belly swelling
« on: January 27, 2023, 08:21:32 PM »

Hi all, recently been given hrt as Perimenopause, only been taking it for a month, but since November I've noticed a big change in my belly, my diet has improved, eating healthier, low fat, high protein, and not going for a number two as often and my belly looks very large like I'm pregnant which I'm not. What could this be.... its very upsetting as I've always had a flay belly 😕

Flossieteacake

Re: Belly swelling
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 08:54:41 PM »

I am sorry to hear this Nikki. I know constipation can cause the stomache to look swollen.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 08:51:13 AM »

As can hormones!   Several years ago my apron dropped, it's 'middle aged spread'.  Apparently  ::). From above I look fat, when laying down the belly is flat - how is yours when in bed?

However, if the belly swelling is 24/7 and quite hard, then mayB speak to your Nurse Practitioner to see if appropriate medication to clear the bowel is required.  Let us know how you get on.

RebJT

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 09:23:46 AM »

Hiya

What HRT are you on?  What regime?  I've had a massive loss of belly fat on HRT, for me oestrogen is a fat melting miracle!  I count calories, and exercise and count my steps as in menopause we have to work a bit harder but HRT really helped me get back in shape (not that that was my primary consideration given I felt so bloomin' unwell at the time).  Constipation could suggest you are not on enough oestrogen, but it takes a while for HRT to settle down.  I've found taking plenty of magnesium, vit C and a good probiotic, and eating chia seeds with my breakfast oats helps keeps things moving along!

In your case I'd say either declining hormones as you've hit peri have meant you've laid down more belly fat (adipose fat release a weak form of oestrogen, our bodies lay on fat to try and compensate for falling levels) OR something's going on in your womb.  It could be the HRT is stimulating your endometrium, and you need a dose tweak, and time to let it settle, or if you have other symptoms (erratic bleeding, pain, cramps) it might be an idea to speak to your doc about a scan. 

I keep a symptom diary, and weigh myself every day, at some points through this roller coaster called perimenopause my weight can literally fluctuate by 7lbs in a day, this is all water retention related to hormones, and just as quickly it passes.

Reb
x

Nikki218

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 10:59:42 AM »

Hi thank you all, I hit the gym 5 days out of 7, building muscle, I eat within my calorie allowance, and have put on weight which is due to muscle gain, hrt that I'm on is Elleste duet 1mg, do poo once a day but is becoming harder to do so, eat a good diet... have tried a few things to help go tolielet but nothing works xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 11:39:36 AM »

BOWELS  >:(  :-X. we have threads on those too.  I have slow transit and rarely feel that my bowel is empty  :-\.  I have to tick the calendar otherwise I can't remember whether I've 'been'  :(.  Several days will be almost OK, then I'll get a gap of 36 hours with no movement even though it feels like I should.  1 thing that works for me is to stop my ADs for 24 hours ;-). 

RebJT - that's really well explained  :thankyou:

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 01:06:09 PM »

Hello Nikki218 and welcome to the forum.

Perhaps look at your diet again? Have you moved from eating high fibre foods to low fibre ones ? If you want to increase protein you could eat beans which contain both.

I hope you get this sorted soon and take care.

K.

RebJT

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 01:40:16 PM »

Hey

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, and it's probably just a case of waiting for the HRT to settle a bit longer and if you are still struggling, increasing your dose, or trying a different type of HRT.  It can take a while to hit on the right 'fuel mixture'. Elleste duet also comes in a 2mg, or like many of us, you might do better on body identical HRT.  But it'll take time to figure it out, they say at least 12 weeks for your body to settle on a dose of HRT, so I wouldn't change anything yet.   If you are in calorie deficit, exercising and eating well, you will lose weight, just slower than we did before.  My gynae gave me a symptom tracker, it's days of the cycle across the top 1 - 28 and then list of symptoms down the side (everything from sleep, weight gain, mood, sweats, anxiety etc, probably about 20 different symptoms) scored 0 - 5 (0 being no symptoms, 5 being torrential symptoms) but you could just as easily create it on a spreadsheet, I do mine on paper, and that way it's quite easy to spot patterns after a month or two (you just go through with a highlighter and and pick out your 4s and 5s).

That way if you need to tackle your Gp about upping or changing HRT, you have a ready made list of reasons why you need it. 

Might also be worth checking your thyroid function, if that's going to go south 9 times out of ten it does at menopause.  If you are on thyroxine, being on HRT can mean you need a thyroxine increase of up to 25%.

I also drink gallons of water, at least three litres a day, that seems to help with fluid retention.

Hang in there, honestly I've lost 5 inches off my belly, and four off my waist being on HRT.  I'm nearly back to the same measurements I was in my twenties.  Total inch loss 30" all over.  Power yoga is my weight bearing exercise.

Reb
x

rabt

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 08:04:56 PM »

This is exactly like me. Different HRT but very similar in the face I exercise loads run, swim and do weights as well as watch what I eat but still if I eat even a small amount my stomach and back at the sides  gets huge. Very frustrating

Bungo

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 09:52:14 AM »

I'm similar and worse since started hrt. Strength train and am quite lean but belly massively distends after eating. Some mornings I wake up bloated. I think I should try fodmap diet but am almost vegan so wouldnt get adequate protein so just sucking it up and hoping settles when post menopause..It has gotten worse the closer I get to menopause and the hrt has made it an almost everyday occurance..Not sure yet if the utrogestan or oestrogen as on continuous regime. Sorry no use to you. Maybe try fodmap for a few weeks just to rule out digestion issues?

Nikki218

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 05:49:19 PM »

Hello all thank you so much for your help and support ❤️ 😊

Turkish delight

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 05:53:59 PM »

As can hormones!   Several years ago my apron dropped, it's 'middle aged spread'.  Apparently  ::). From above I look fat, when laying down the belly is flat - how is yours when in bed?

However, if the belly swelling is 24/7 and quite hard, then mayB speak to your Nurse Practitioner to see if appropriate medication to clear the bowel is required.  Let us know how you get on.

What a great tip, the laying down vs standing belly size'omitor is born at last, thanks CLKD  ;D