Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Mirena IUS  (Read 929 times)

LindaJ

• First Flush
Mirena IUS
« on: January 26, 2023, 02:29:29 PM »

I'm new to this so I hope this is all ok and I am doing everything right. I am looking for any advice or info anyone may have on the Mirena IUS, or experiences with it please. I have postmenopausal bleeding and have had all the scans and cameras and biopsies taken and so on. The Dr I saw was very nice but focused on getting the camera and biopsies done and me out of the way quickly, but she suggested the Mirena IUS as a solution to stopping the post menopausal bleeding and gave me a leaflet about it to read and sent me away. However the leaflet and all the info I can find on line talks about it being used for heavy periods and nothing about postmenopausal bleeding so I'm a bit in the dark really. I am already on HRT patches and have been since before my menopause. It is about 10 years since I had my menopause but I am still getting symptoms and now this bleeding too. I'm at a bit of a loss what to do or where to go to talk to someone who can help me - I'm hoping someone knows something about the Mirena IUS, side effects, if it works for someone post menopausal with bleeding, or anything really to help me understand and help me make a decision about what to do. Thank you in advance.

Dotty

Re: Mirena IUS
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 02:32:25 PM »

Hi LindaJ welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can help you .

Which hrt are you using? Which patches ? x

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 02:42:53 PM »

A mirena can be used as the progestogen for hrt but then you'd better with oestrogen only patches so you don't get too much. There are other options to increase the progestogen if you don't want a mirena. How thick was your lining? It's a little odd your current regime has been OK for 10 years but now it isn't.

Suziemc

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 05:02:10 PM »

Hi Linda

I had a mirena coil fitted two weeks ago - so far so good!

I'm 59 and 10 yrs post-meno. I started on HRT last Feb, successfully using 2 pumps Oestrogel and Utrogestan daily which addressed most of my, relatively minor, symptoms. In Oct some symptoms crept back so I upped to 3 pumps gel and symptoms went away. Then, in mid-Dec I noticed some spotting, followed by quite a lot on Boxing Day.

My GP referred me on 2week pathway, I had scan which showed a slightly thickened endometrium, 5.3mm,  so a hysteroscopy and biopsy were arranged. At this point the oncology gynae nurse suggested a Mirena coil, gave me a leaflet to read and told me I could let them know on the day if I wanted to go ahead with the coil.

I was apprehensive as had bad memories of contraceptive coil way back in the 1980s but was assured that they have changed since then! So I decided to follow the advice and had one fitted during the hysteroscopy.  My experience was a very positive one, with minor discomfort during the fitting, probably helped by the local anaesthetic I had for the procedure. I was warned I might get some cramping after the fitting but I had none.

One week later I started to bleed a little, but I was warned this might happen and now, 7 days later its just a bit of spotting.  This morning I had the great news that the biopsy was clear  :)

So...my advice, based on my experience, is go for it. I know it's still early days for me but I've no regrets so far! And it can always be removed again if that experience changes.

LindaJ

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 11:00:04 AM »

thank you ladies for your  replies. Its so heartening to hear from others in similar situations. I'm on Evoril Conti patches which have worked for me until recently. My womb lining was inside the normal thickness apparently but I can't remember exactly what that was.
Dotty, did you have any other symptoms? Did you get any PMS like symptoms or weight gain or anything like that please?
thank you ladies - I really appreciate your support

AnneS

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 11:15:52 AM »

Hi Linda
I was also on Evorel Conti and had bleeding. Like you I was referred for a scan and biopsy and all was fine ! A coil was also suggested at the time but following an appointment with a very supportive nurse practitioner at my GP surgery , I was offered a separate oestrogen patch and progesterone nightly pill to hopefully sort this and although early days , so far it seems to be working well for me ! I know the coil is very effective for lots of ladies but there are also different options to consider ! Xx

LindaJ

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 12:50:24 PM »

thanks AnneS - that is very interesting to hear x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 12:07:48 AM »

I am post meno and had my second Mirena fitted in the summer so i can continue using  Estrogel. I had 4.5 months of spotting with first Mirena but no side effects at all.

LindaJ

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 11:15:14 AM »

thank you ladies for your replies. I feel  I have a bit more info now and it seems I can get an appointment at my surgery to talk to a nurse for advise and help - sounds similar to what you had AnneS, so I am hoping I can move forward and make some decisions. thank you all for your support xx

Nas

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 04:27:57 PM »

Poppytoast, how an earth did you pull your coil out yourself? Didn’t it hurt???