Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Not sleeping on progesterone weeks, any advice greatly appreciated  (Read 694 times)

Starshell

Hi everyone, I recently changed from a continuous regime to cyclical
I was still having regular periods but Dr said I could try continuous - 100mg progesterone every evening (orally) and between 2-4 pumps Oestrogel every morning
I felt okay and was sleeping much better when I got used to it but the irregular and sometimes very heavy bleeds were the downside
I have changed to using the Oestrogel as previously and taking 200mg progesterone for 2 weeks of the month, I am only into the second month of doing this and am feeling horrendous, spotty, bad headaches and I am struggling to sleep more than five hours a night and feel extremely tired but wired at the same time, i feel at my worse when I start the 200mg progesterone - the positive is the irregular bleeding has stopped!
I am at a loss as to what to do, try patches? Go back to the previous continuous regime and just accept the irregular heavy bleeding or stop altogether?

discogirl

Re: Not sleeping on progesterone weeks, any advice greatly appreciated
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 11:58:43 AM »

hi starshell

i operate better taking the utro 100mg vaginally everynight. i sometimes wonder if the 200mg utro could be causing you to feel wired.

what dose of oestrogel are you on and are you peri by the way xxx

Starshell

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 12:09:10 PM »

Thanks Discogirl
I am 52 and been on HRT for 4 years
I use 3 1/2 pumps Oestrogel every morning
I tried using the tablets vaginally but they made me feel sore 😞
Thanks for your reply x

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 02:19:04 PM »

Have you tried taking the utrogeston earlier in the day? Utro stops me sleeping too but evorel conti patches didn't so it's possible something else would suit you better though I don't think anything else is body identical. If you're thinking os stopping hrt I'd suggest you cut down oestrogen first and see if symptoms return. Reducing the dose should also reduce heavy bleeding.

Starshell

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 02:41:04 PM »

Thanks Sheila, I will try that x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 09:41:54 AM »

As said it sounds like the progesterone is the cause of your problems - if you are feeling like this when you start it. Yes it stops me sleeping to because I use it vaginally but it irritate my bladder and also gives me vivid dreams. This cycle I'm taking norethisterone for reasons I won't go into, and after initial 3 day migraine ( when I nearly stopped taking it), I feel OK and wonderful to still get a good night's sleep. I understand oral Utrogestan has a greater number of metabolites - or rather greater quantity - than when taken vaginally - hence can cause more adverse side effects.

Do report back as to how taking it earlier affects you and what time you take it as I'm sure others would be interested eg does anyone take it in the morning and plough on through any side effects?

Hurdity x

Starshell

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 10:35:11 PM »

I will try to take it earlier and report back asap, trouble is I keep forgetting and just end up taking it before I go to bed as usual!
Thanks everyone for your replies

Turkish delight

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 09:22:18 AM »

I will try to take it earlier and report back asap, trouble is I keep forgetting and just end up taking it before I go to bed as usual!
Thanks everyone for your replies

Hia Starshell,

I have my phone alarm set to remind me to take my Oestrogel every evening, I take it am and pm as I heard that it's estrogen that aids sleep not Progesterone as some say, this has been a game changer. It's a nice calm sounding alarm tune I picked and being reminded in the evening is a must for me. Works a treat give it a go to remind you to take Prog earlier.
TD