Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Palpitations really getting me down  (Read 597 times)

JulieP820

• First Flush
Palpitations really getting me down
« on: January 25, 2023, 05:58:00 PM »

After a panic attack put me in the ER on Saturday (didn’t know it was that at the time), I feel like I’m constantly on the verge of another one. I had palpitations before but now every one I get has me terrified & ramping up for another panic attack. I’m so nervous & jittery, dizzy & wobbly all the time.

I guess I’m just seeking reassurance ladies. This is hard.  :-\

Flossieteacake

Re: Palpitations really getting me down
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 06:03:56 PM »

Aw Julie, I am really sorry to hear this. I know how horrid palpitations are. While they are happening it can be so hard to stay calm and remind ourselves that they will pass. There are so many threads about palpitations on here so you are not alone. Panic attacks are so distressing. Have you ever considered having any therapy to help you with them?

JulieP820

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 06:32:04 PM »

Flossieteacake, the intensity of these symptoms are new for me, except the palpitations which I’ve had on and off for years. They just frighten me more now. I have health anxiety & every ache & pain is something serious. But yes, I’m not opposed to therapy if I can get it.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 06:39:30 PM »

I know you are in the US and therapy will cost you there which will be more difficult. I think in menopause anxiety can be really severe so I can understand why you are having panic attacks especially as you are not yet taking any HRT which can help with anxiety.

DottyD68

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 09:32:22 PM »

Hi JulieP820,

I can totally relate to how you are feeling. I have had peri-menopausal palpitations on and off for the past 7-8 years which, despite having health anxiety, I have managed to rationalise. Going on HRT in August 2021 helped reduce them. However I had covid in August 2022 and they re-appeared and then got worse in November (I think from the stress of having to face the first Christmas with my mum in a carehome with Alzheimer's, who was demanding to be at home/with family). They have been the worst ever these past 2/3 months. I have literally had to get up in the middle of the night and make myself a cup of chamomile tea, do deep-breathing and pray they would calm down... which they would after an hour or so.

Despite having white-coat syndrome I spoke to my GP this month who didnt seem too concerned. She did blood tests to check thyroid, vit B12, iron etc which can cause palpitations. Results were normal - as GP expected. I booked myself in for an ECG which has come back normal. Palpitations have reduced which is good though I am trying hard to manage eating regularly (to avoid low blood sugar), avoid stimulants (caffeine/alcohol), continue exercising regularly and do meditation.

I am convinced they are hormone-related but once you focus on them you get stuck in a downward spiral and you are always looking out for them.

If you can get some tests done for reassurance I am sure it will help. They are horrible when they happen but if you know they are "harmless" I'm sure it will be easier to deal with when they happen, and they will pass.

Sending best wishes xx

Pippa52

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 05:29:02 PM »

I so feel for you I really do.  I've got the t shirt for panic attacks and palpitations fast heart rates etc and it is so scary and debilitating.  I do find meditation helps a bit and also beta blockers can help.  Do hope you feel better soon xxx