Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Newbie aged 65 seeking advice please.  (Read 1528 times)

sprush1

Newbie aged 65 seeking advice please.
« on: January 25, 2023, 02:43:52 PM »

Hello everyone.
I am 65 and am post menopausal having gone through the menopause nearly 25 years ago. I never had many issues and managed the night sweats and hot flushes without too much hassle. ( Still got my womb and ovaries).
Last year I was having a very sad and stressful time and began to feel quite ill with wooziness, worsening dry eye, creepy legs syndrome and headaches. Night sweats too but that was maybe due to the extreme hot weather. I also went off tea and coffee. I had various blood tests and blood pressure tests which all came back as normal. Going off tea and coffee was something that happened to me with both my pregnancies so I guessed my recent problems were hormone related. My GP wasn’t too keen but I asked her to prescribe Evorel Conti patches. I started these but after a while I reduced the dose to half patches as the side effects were something else. I’ve been on this lower dose for several months but can’t say I’m feeling on top of the world. I’ve tried reducing the patch to a quarter but I feel worse again. I know it can take a while for things to settle down and maybe being on the half patch will make it longer to be fully effective.
One question I have is has anyone had a blood test specifically for hormone levels? I asked my GP and she said no to me. Also has anyone done one of the private postal hormone tests? Think they cost about £40.
If I’m really honest I think I’ve been living with a hormonal imbalance for many years and things have got worse due to stress.
Thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 08:43:07 AM by sprush1 »

Flossieteacake

Re: Newbie aged 65 seeking advice please.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 02:50:32 PM »

Hello Sprush and welcome to the forum. Although you did not get on with Evorel Conti this does not mean you could try a different type of HRT. Perhaps this one is just not suited to you. Bare in mind that for some of us HRT does not make us feel wonderful but as long as it helps with some of the horrid meno symptoms then it can be worthwhile. I just thought I would say that in case you were disappointed you did not feel great like some people in the media seem to say they feel after HRT.  :)

I am not sure about the hormone level test as I thought a GP would do that if it was requested. Hopefully somebody else will answer that for you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 03:17:59 PM »

Hi! sorry about the stress which can cause menopause symptoms to become worse. 

Hormonal blood tests are reliably un-reliable.  Ask your GP to refer you to an NHS Menopause Clinic - there are waiting lists to getting onto a list ASAP is important.  In the meantime keep a mood/food/symptom diary to take with you.

In the morning I can drink a cup of black T with 2 sugars, by 1.30 tea tastes AWFUL  :-\.  It's difficult to know what to drink instead  :-\

If that patch isn't helping, maybe give your body a break - there are lots of ways of delivering HRT - you will require progesterone too to protect the womb lining, many find the progesterone part of the regime difficult to tolerate.

Let us know how you get on.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 07:21:38 PM »

Blood tests are unhelpful as you go through meno because of your own fluctuations but 25 years post meno should give you an accurate indication of your levels. In what way do you feel bad? If it isn't an oestrogen related symptom it may be that the progestogen in evorel doesn't suit you and you may be better with a different type. After so long without oestrogen a slow build up is better.

sprush1

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 08:00:10 PM »

Thank you Flossieteacake and CLKD and Sheila 99 for your responses.
I’ve got some thinking to do. I might well just continue with the half patch for a while longer and see how I am. Maybe I’ll press for a hormone test too and then talk about a different type of HRT. I will ask about a referral to a menopause clinic. My GP did say last year that I could be referred to an endocrinologist. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 08:36:09 PM »

Thank you Flossieteacake and CLKD and Sheila 99 for your responses.
I’ve got some thinking to do. I might well just continue with the half patch for a while longer and see how I am. Maybe I’ll press for a hormone test too and then talk about a different type of HRT. I will ask about a referral to a menopause clinic. My GP did say last year that I could be referred to an endocrinologist.

You are so welcome. I hope your appointment goes well and your GP is supportive.