Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Have been advised to stop HRT while waiting for hospital referral  (Read 1201 times)

HappyHooker

• First Flush

Hoping for some reassurance. I’ve been on oestrogen gel and Utrogestan for a few years - sequential. In June I started to get heavy bleeds and some spotting at I expected times. My gp spoke to the local HRT clinic and they advised changing to continuous therapy (I’m 57). I dis so and all was well for a few months. In December I started to bleed again which was six months since starting. My gp has red flagged a gynae referral (which apparently will take at least 4 months!) and advised me sto stop the HRT in the meantime. I have stopped (nearly 3 weeks) and apart from a few hot flushes in the evenings and being too warm with the odd night sweat I’m feeling pretty good. I almost think my mind is clearer. I’m not sure how I feel about all this - wondering if anyone else on here has stopped HRT suddenly and what was your experience?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Have been advised to stop HRT while waiting for hospital referral
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 07:10:39 PM »

What's the worry with your HRT, if your GP is concerned she should fast track you to an appropriate clinic - within 2-3 weeks at the most.

If it's for a scan to check the womb lining then 2 weeks is 'usual'.  MayB a gynae referral should be altered to a dedicated menopause clinic though there are waiting lists both NHS and Private.  Gynaes often don't know any more about peri/menpause than GPs!

Do U think that you will need HRT in future?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 07:11:16 PM »

Also, if the appts get put back and put back etc., how will you cope with any symptoms?  What does your GP suggest?

HappyHooker

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 08:31:07 PM »

Thanks for your replies - apparently the single HRT clinic in Northern Ireland is t taking referrals any more (I’m not sure this can be correct and am trying to phone them) and the gynae urgent referrals are a long waiting list. The GP is worried that if it is uterus cancer the HRT could make things worse. Good point though - if I’m still having flushing issues I will co fact the gp again.

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 09:32:38 PM »

I think you need a scan which you should get on the two week pathway. It's far more likely to be fibroids or build up but it's been going on for several months now.

Suziemc

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 09:30:55 AM »

Hi
I'm in a similar situation right now, albeit with a much faster referral! 59, 10 years post meno and on Oestrogel and Utrogestan since Feb last year. In December I noticed spotting and then large amount Boxing day. I got appt with GP first day they were open after Christmas, she referred me on 2wk pathway and I got an appt for scan two days later. Scan showed slightly thickened womb lining so hysteroscopy for biopsy was suggested along with fitting a Mirena coil.  At that point I was told to stop HRT in case  biopsy showed cancerous cells, I had the biopsy and coil fitted within a week and I've got an approx 4 week wait for biopsy results.

Since stopping the HRT, 2 weeks ago,  I've noticed a slow return of symptoms like very dry skin and hair, not being able to get to sleep, very disturbing dreams and broken nights sleep. No hot flushes yet, but they were short and not too often pre-hrt. I'm generally feeling a bit fed up, with no enthusiasm and feeling tired, but that's probably to do with the disturbed sleep! 

So no thunderbolt of horrific symptoms but I will be pleased go get back on my Oestrogel again.

I am very thankful that I have a very good GP surgery with two female GPS with an interest in menopause, as well as living in an area (Coventry, England) where the fast path referral really works well. I hope you don't have to wait too long.

Stella2

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 09:19:15 AM »

Just an update, unfortunately not all parts of the UK have dedicated menopause clinics. Also I waited for the scan due to bleeding for 4 weeks, there is a waiting list. Fortunately all was OK, and for most women it's nothing sinister.