Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT ovarian cancer (mum)  (Read 949 times)

Carabelle

HRT ovarian cancer (mum)
« on: January 21, 2023, 10:50:14 AM »

Hello, looking for some advice. My GP has recommended I go on HRT patches. The insomnia and night sweats are driving me beyond mad now and although I have resisted HRT up until now, I think the time has come to be brave and embrace it. Having lost my mum to ovarian cancer, I’m a bit apprehensive about the whole thing. Although we did the genetic testing and she wasn’t a carrier of the gene, I’m still a bit worried about it. Any good advice/useful info from anyone? Thanks 🙏

Taz2

Re: HRT ovarian cancer (mum)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 01:03:37 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about your mum and I can understand your worry. You have no genetic link to ovarian cancer and I think that studies have shown that only 1% of ovarian cancers are caused by HRT use.

Life sounds pretty miserable at the moment for you with the poor sleep and sweats and HRT patches could make such a difference. Why not give them a try?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 01:45:07 PM »

Sorry about your Mum.  A difficult cancer to diagnose, known as 'the silent killer'.  'ovacome' are a good place to ask too.

MayB keep a mood/food/symptom diary and chart symptoms.  Quality of Life is important.  Let us know how you get on. 

Carabelle

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 07:27:17 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about your mum and I can understand your worry. You have no genetic link to ovarian cancer and I think that studies have shown that only 1% of ovarian cancers are caused by HRT use.

Life sounds pretty miserable at the moment for you with the poor sleep and sweats and HRT patches could make such a difference. Why not give them a try?

Taz x

Aww thank you Taz. And you’re right in terms of risk factor. Have an appointment on Friday with the GP so I think I’ll give the patches a go and see if they make a difference. x

Carabelle

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 07:30:17 PM »

Sorry about your Mum.  A difficult cancer to diagnose, known as 'the silent killer'.  'ovacome' are a good place to ask too.

MayB keep a mood/food/symptom diary and chart symptoms.  Quality of Life is important.  Let us know how you get on.

Thanks CLD. Change is scary but can’t continue like this. All the yoga, herbal teas and pillow sprays are making no difference soi think I’ll give the patches a go and see how they work out for me. Oh what I’d give for a full night’s sleep! x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 08:59:22 PM »

U and many as they go into peri-menopause. 

Evie606

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 10:54:41 PM »

Hi there,

I understand as I lost my Mum to advanced ovarian cancer back in July last year.
My CA125 is being monitored as it’s over the upper limit but only by 8 or so. Nowhere near the “red zone”.  I’m due a second scan to monitor things (first one clear) so they’re certainly on top of things.
However, I’m on Lenzetto/Cyclogest and at no time (so far) have I been asked to come off HRT and I will continue until told otherwise. I’m 53.

E x

Carabelle

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 04:55:01 PM »

Hi there,

I understand as I lost my Mum to advanced ovarian cancer back in July last year.
My CA125 is being monitored as it’s over the upper limit but only by 8 or so. Nowhere near the “red zone”.  I’m due a second scan to monitor things (first one clear) so they’re certainly on top of things.
However, I’m on Lenzetto/Cyclogest and at no time (so far) have I been asked to come off HRT and I will continue until told otherwise. I’m 53.

E x

Sorry to hear about your mum. It’s awful isn’t it? That’s interesting and reassuring re your experience with HRT. I get blood tests regularly to keep Namibia eye on my levels and it all seems to be fine. I’m the same age as you. Hope your second scan goes well. xx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 05:19:29 PM »

'Namibia' - wishful thinking Carabelle ;-)  ???

MrsMitch

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 07:24:47 PM »

Hello Carabelle, I'm so sorry about your mum, mum's are precious and having menopausal health problems with no mum to talk to is difficult- there's loads I need to ask my mum but can't as she's no longer  here too.
I was just like you re HRT.  Friends were telling me I must not take it under any circumstances and they went on and on at me but in the end I decided that as they all sailed through menopause,  they didn't have the right to voice their opinion!!
I have your issue (plus a few others) and rarely sleep longer than an hour before I'm awake which is repeated all night every night. And I'm drenched in sweat too.
So I'd say give it a try. I'm on my 3rd type trying to find one that works well but so far I have to sat things are no where near as bad as they were without HRT. I think in the end you have to weigh up quality of life vs risks of taking it. I've read recently that the study which sent the world into a tailspin about HRT was very flawed. If you give it a go so you can actually sleep better, you can think more clearly about what to do long term.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 10:25:32 AM »

"Friends" wouldn't pass an opinion  ;)

MrsMitch

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 12:55:30 PM »

CLKD yeah you come to learn that in time, don't you.

Carabelle

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2023, 12:21:28 AM »

Hello Carabelle, I'm so sorry about your mum, mum's are precious and having menopausal health problems with no mum to talk to is difficult- there's loads I need to ask my mum but can't as she's no longer  here too.
I was just like you re HRT.  Friends were telling me I must not take it under any circumstances and they went on and on at me but in the end I decided that as they all sailed through menopause,  they didn't have the right to voice their opinion!!
I have your issue (plus a few others) and rarely sleep longer than an hour before I'm awake which is repeated all night every night. And I'm drenched in sweat too.
So I'd say give it a try. I'm on my 3rd type trying to find one that works well but so far I have to sat things are no where near as bad as they were without HRT. I think in the end you have to weigh up quality of life vs risks of taking it. I've read recently that the study which sent the world into a tailspin about HRT was very flawed. If you give it a go so you can actually sleep better, you can think more clearly about what to do long term.
Aw thank you! There’s too much going on to be driving me mad so I’m thinking HRT just might be the right thing. x