Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone diagnosed with Restless Leg in Peri?  (Read 1754 times)

HannonNY

Re: Anyone diagnosed with Restless Leg in Peri?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2023, 11:03:39 AM »

Thank you all... I'm really hoping that the Iron supplements do the trick.  I've been reading about it and IF this is truly RLS given my low Ferritin level I think I have a good shot of it relieving at least a lot of the symptoms.  Some people it clears it up altogether.  I'm not sure if I would then need to continue taking Iron for the rest of my life but I guess I worry about that down the road.  Uggg!

Ali P

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2023, 11:57:17 AM »

From minusminnie

“They are dopamine agonists.  Amitripyline is a dopamine antagonist.

pasting this ....

Agonists are substances that bind to synaptic receptors and increase the effect of the neurotransmitter. Antagonists also bind to synaptic receptors but they decrease the effect of the neurotransmitter”

I remember now reading this   I have a friend who is in a low dose of Ami for her restless legs

Just a thought anyone who takes aspirin regularly it is known to reduce iron levels  another friend who suffered from a bad back was prescribed a medication to counter at this.
It’s all a bit if a mine field

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2023, 02:46:06 PM »

It is a mine field, too much biochemistry for my brain to keep up  :o

Does elevating the legs at night help ease symptoms?  Mine never draw in the day although I am aware of the sensations, the moment I hit the mattress  >:(. Try 'nurofen' for a short time relefe, 30 mins B4 bed.

Iron can cause constipation  ::)

VanillaLover

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2023, 03:30:49 PM »

I get it but only rarely. The only thing I’ve found that helps if it does happen is to get out of bed and stand on tiptoes, lower, repeat.....say 20 times or until your muscles are so fatigued you can’t carry on. Sounds odd but I read it as a suggestion and it does help. It’s awful I agree. The pain if you don’t move your legs constantly is just unbearable isn’t it?  Hope that helps!

HannonNY

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2023, 04:58:06 PM »

Thank you VanillaLover.  I will try that!  I've had it for the past 4 nights and it's been so hard to get to sleep.  Once I'm asleep and if i do wake up again the sensation has gone.  It's trying to get to sleep the first time that is the hardest.  Such a strange condition!  Hoping mine calms down or goes soon w/ the Iron!

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 11:32:50 PM »

Have you seen this site https://www.rls-uk.org/

Gives a good insight into RLS and  the different ways to help us cope and also medications which may help

Taz x

Ellie O

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2023, 09:02:46 AM »

Hi ladies. What helped me for RLS is magnesium supplements, and hard spike ball for feet massage.

Minusminnie

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2023, 10:39:13 AM »

From minusminnie

“They are dopamine agonists.  Amitripyline is a dopamine antagonist.

pasting this ....

Agonists are substances that bind to synaptic receptors and increase the effect of the neurotransmitter. Antagonists also bind to synaptic receptors but they decrease the effect of the neurotransmitter”

I remember now reading this   I have a friend who is in a low dose of Ami for her restless legs

I think Amitriptyline is now considered a weaker option.

(I'm no bio chemist but have been trying to understand the action some of these drugs due to a family member being misprescribed).

HannonNY

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2023, 11:59:15 AM »

I'm going to try and stay away from drugs if at all possible.  I'm sure I'm speaking too soon however, I've been taking Iron supplements for about 4 days and I have noticed a reduction in symptoms at night.  Not sure if this is just my mind/placebo effect because it's supposed to take a few weeks to months to really work.

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2023, 12:49:53 PM »

How low is your iron?

Taz x

HannonNY

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2023, 01:29:04 PM »

My ferritin was 37 which is technically in the "normal" range but at the low end.  I believe the recommendation from RLS foundation and some Dr's is that you should be at 80-100.  My Dr. suggested trying the Iron supplements to see if that will improve or eliminate the symptoms. Again, early days so not getting my hopes up yet.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2023, 01:42:31 PM »

HannonNY - does it matter if you R getting some relief?  Try not to over think what might/not be working. 

HannonNY

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2023, 01:47:10 PM »

CLKD - very true!  I've had a rough perimenopause experience over the past 1.5 years and this is the icing on the cake!  Hoping to get relief from all of it soon!  Thank you!
Pages: 1 [2]