Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Menopause Leave  (Read 631 times)

discogirl

Menopause Leave
« on: January 24, 2023, 02:47:46 PM »

I see the government in their infinite wisdom has rejected proposals for large scale trials for menopause leave in the workplace as it could cause discrimination against men with long term medical conditions.....I'm saying nowt x

jaypo

Re: Menopause Leave
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 02:56:42 PM »

:-X :-X :-X :-X
 ;D

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 02:59:24 PM »

exactly Jaypo xx

Katherine

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 03:01:33 PM »

I can’t even.

Songbird

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 03:37:19 PM »

I see the government in their infinite wisdom has rejected proposals for large scale trials for menopause leave in the workplace as it could cause discrimination against men with long term medical conditions.....I'm saying nowt x
I know Discogirl - unbelievable. Will they ever get it??
They were discussing it on Jeremy Vine today. I was dismayed at 2 or 3 women phoning in saying they just "got on with it" when they had hot flushes - well good for them! Clearly, every lady's experience is different. I've no doubt that some "sail through it" but many certainly do not. They need to damn well sit up and take notice :(

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 03:42:03 PM »

And we can't upset men can we?............oops,said too much

Katherine

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 03:44:45 PM »

The whole reason for the government’s decision will be purely economic. Giving people paid leave for no work in return costs organisations money. If it were men who had the menopause though, I’m sure they could justify menopause leave then.

In terms of the women who just get on with it, that is a term used by people who haven’t experienced severe and debilitating symptoms, no one is superhuman and people who have had it easy would be best  :-X

Edit- I’ve just realised my first paragraph could be misinterpreted and I want to make it clear that I meant that is the way some organisations and some of the government see it, or use as an apparent justification. I personally think anything that supports people and enables them to work, stay in work or perform better and be happier at work is better for them, their families, society, organisations and therefore the economy as a whole. Ignoring a major issue that affects half the population at some point is ridiculous but the govt obviously finds ways to justify anything and can be very short sighted at best. It is amazing but not surprising how the govt often sees the economy and social issues as two separate entities when they are so interconnected!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:25:49 PM by Katherine »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 04:57:28 PM »

I am still trying to form a response.   :bang:  "counter-productive" in what way  :-\  ???

Ministers have rejected a proposal from MPs to introduce "menopause leave" pilots in England, arguing it could be "counterproductive".

It also dismissed a recommendation to make menopause a protected characteristic under the Equality Act.

The suggestions came from the Women and Equalities Committee, which accused ministers of making "glacial progress" on menopause support.

The government insisted it had an "ambitious" plan to improve help.

In July 2022, the committee published a report which warned that the impact of menopause was causing the UK economy to "haemorrhage talent".

It said a lack of support was pushing women out of work and made 12 recommendations aimed at giving working women more rights.

I don't think that 'haemorrhage talent' is the correct phrase either, lazy journalism?