Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Menopause symptoms and stress  (Read 752 times)

Katherine

Menopause symptoms and stress
« on: January 24, 2023, 03:00:40 PM »

Hi ladies, I’ve not been on here for a while, I’ve been alright but then something really stressful happened a few days ago and now I feel very tired, sleeping excessively, depression, had 2 days off work and I was literally dripping with sweat last night even though the window was open, no nightie on, etc. does anyone know if sudden stressful events can worsen menopause symptoms because although I have hot flushes I only seem to night sweat when I’m ill? I’ve also had a weird aching in my groin area which I’ve never had before. The hypochondriac part of my mind thinks I’ve got lymphoma but I’m trying to tell it it’s just due to an infection caused by multiple cat scratches. If anyone can give me a little lift or reassurance it would be much appreciated.x
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 03:41:12 PM by Katherine »

Dierdre

Re: Menopause symptoms and stress
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 03:30:34 PM »

Stress and anxiety can cause night sweats even without the menopause. When you experience any kind of trauma your body will feel exhausted and the symptoms you have are like post traumatic stress.
You have lots of lymph nodes in the groin so if you have cat scratches they will be aching and fighting infection.
Hope you feel better soon.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 03:45:00 PM »

Just as Dierdre says really,if you've had major stress,then yes,your symptoms can heighten,it's the adrenaline that's the most likely culprit but if you're worried at all,best speak to the GP xx

Katherine

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 03:50:35 PM »

Thanks ladies. I forgot to mention I’ve had the groin thing for 2 weeks but the stressful event only happened a few days ago.

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 04:42:30 PM »

If you have health anxiety,you are probably focusing on the ache in your groin more than normal,usually if another pain comes along,we forget about the original pain and start to focus on the new pain BUT please do have a chat with your Dr x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 04:51:16 PM »

Cat scratches can turn septic!  Why would a cat scratch in that area  :-\.

Groin tenderness or pain can be caused by lifting.  Or lumph nodes if the body is fighting infection.  Or due to hormones.

I get hot if worried or guilty.  An all over sweat  >:(.  How R your periods doing?

Katherine

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 05:01:16 PM »

I think I am worrying about the groin thing because when my dad had a lump in his groin it was cancer and he died young. I never worried about cancer before then.

CLKD my cat didn’t scratch my groin she scratched my leg, arm and neck, she always fights for her life when I try and get her in the carrier. They haven’t gone septic though. It’s funny I have been carrying a lot of heavy bags lately so that might be the cause.

My periods are still regular and my symptoms start getting worse a week before my period. My gp says I’m in peri as I have many physical and emotional symptoms. I will give it a couple of weeks, with no heavy lifting and if it still doesn’t go I’ll see my gp. Hopefully I can psyche myself up for work tomorrow .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 05:11:41 PM »

Cats know the moment that carrier appears  :-X  :-\. Does she have to go into it often?  It might be cheaper and less stressful for the Vet to attend at home.

Sorry about your Dad.  Certainly lymph nodes in the groin, under the arms and neck can be signs of infection or something more sinister. 

I had PMT as I aged.  I was advised to eat every 3 hours 24/7.  Even in the night ;-). 

Katherine

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 07:03:28 PM »

She is going to have to start going to the vets every 4-6 months for her claws clipped as she is scratching the wallpaper off, couch, pretty much anything and no amount of scratching posts, sprays, plug ins, is helping. I though vets only did home visits of the animal was unable to travel. I’m hoping the sedative will work.

I tend to snack during the night in the week before my period, can’t be good for my teeth but never mind, when you need carbs you need them.

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 09:05:52 PM »

It might be worth googling or a face ache post. We have vets locally who don't have a surgery so they are all home visits at the same price as other vets.

Katherine

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 09:13:50 PM »

That’s interesting Sheila, I will look into it, thanks.