Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Is it possible to stop absorbing patches?  (Read 683 times)

Dandelion

Is it possible to stop absorbing patches?
« on: January 01, 2023, 01:32:12 PM »

Hello,

Is it possible to stop absorbing patches?
Has anyone else stopped absorbing them?
My menopause symptoms have returned.
I am 56 and used patches since 2015 except for gel when patch supply was dicy.
I started meno at 42, hrt at 47, first 50mcg evorel, then 75mcg, but it took 100mcg to control flushes, night sweats, and IBS, anxiety never left.
After a few bleeds, hysteroscopy, scans, I went down to 25mcg evorel.
I also changed to gel in the shortage of patches.
Patches and gel were well tolerated.
I had covid in march 2022 but that was uneventful.
I have not had any jabs for covid.

I got IBS and overheating back last year, as in sweating when I walk anywhere, and still have these, plus I need a fan by the bed. The horrible flushes went when I was put on 100mcg and did not come back as bad.
I am wondering if it is possible to stop absorbing the patches?
Also, am I at more risk of osteoporosis.
I have not asked the doctor about this, ringing them is a pain, I can't get through and am beginning to think, the only way to see a doctor is to go in person to make an appointment, as phoning at 8am does not always work, as in appointments taken up, can't get through, engaged, closed etc.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 01:46:33 PM by Dandelion »

Nas

Re: Is it possible to stop absorbing patches
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 01:40:11 PM »

I am also wondering this Dandelion. I’m on evorel 75 and blood levels were 300 in July. In 4 years post menopause.

I never feel continuously well these days. I have a good few days then bang, I’m riddled with anxiety, crampy feelings, headaches etc. I’m sick of it.

Maybe try the gel again? Tablets or spray? Do you know what your oestrogen levels are on the patch? If not, see if a blood test can be arranged to check?

Sometimes we absorb as much as we can from a patch but it might not the entire dose.

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 01:42:29 PM by Nas »

Hurdity

Re: Is it possible to stop absorbing patches?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 09:19:55 AM »

Dandelion - are you still on 25 mcg? If so then it is not necessarily a question of lack of absorption, but that  being a low dose patch it contains insufficient oestrogen to control your menopausal sympsoms of flushes and sweats. I remember something of your history and why you reduced but maybe a small increase eg to 37.5 mcg may help, and not cause the incressed bleeding you used to experience?

Re osteoporosis - there are many factors affecting whether a woman will develop this, including genetics (family history), age of menopause, BMI and to some extent diet, exercise etc. The licensed dose to give protection against osteporosis is 50 mcg for a patch though this is an average and will depend on individual absorption. However some protection is given even on low doses of oestrogen which I understand reduce bone turnover to some extent ( bit hazy about the biological details as haven't looked this up recently).

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 12:05:26 PM »

Perhaps a bllod test to check your levels would be useful? I'm assuming you're post meno now.

Angelasurrey

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 05:30:03 AM »

Dandelion, I hope you are ok. There definitely needs to be more research and investment into absorption issues. I never seemed to absorb the patches.  x