Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Menopause at Work - How Can Employers Help?  (Read 489 times)

SarahtheFlower

Menopause at Work - How Can Employers Help?
« on: January 16, 2023, 06:41:04 PM »

Hi All,
I've been on this site a few times, reading the various threads and asking questions, since I was diagnosed with early memo 'bout a year ago.  It was pretty rough before I got my HRT sorted.   Since then, I've opened up at work and started talking about meno and I'm amazed at how many girls I've worked with for years say they have meno symptoms, even ones quite young.   I work for a large firm with many offices and circa. 500 people, the majority being women.   However, the HR department clearly isn't recognising the impact of meno on it's workforce.   So, the point of this thread, is to ask if anyone on here has any insight into how a business could help it's workforce in terms of meno support?  Maybe you're in HR yourself or the boss of a company - what policies have you put in place?   Maybe you're a worker and your employer has been really great about your meno needs?   Is there a thread covering this already?  Is there guidance out there somewhere for businesses wishing to better understand and support its workers during meno?   I want to be able to put a case to my HR team, but don't know where to start!  I want to help my fellow workers, but don't know how.  Any thoughts would be welcome.  Sorry about all the questions  :) :)
I may not be able to check for responses for a few days (busy busy) :)
Thanks All,
Sarah.

trandall

Re: Menopause at Work - How Can Employers Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 08:41:44 PM »

Hi Sarah I am lucky to work with a large retailer that got on board with all things menopause and realised really quickly that putting the time and effort in to support gets results that are worth the time and effort. We work from home so have set up a chat for anyone on any scale of the menopause journey and anyone interested in learning anything menopause related. We also have monthly meetings and anyone can attend and have had some professional meetings inviting people from outside our company who can support and offer information which was fabulous too. The main thing is understand that no 2 people are the same and that your employer is not responsible for making us feel better but if they have resources in place that you can use it really does help. The chat is used daily and works so well and can sometimes look like this forum with all the questions and suggestions hope that helps

Jenna

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 10:54:52 AM »

Hi Sarah,

There’s lots of information here:

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/menopause_at_work.php

SarahtheFlower

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 05:01:27 PM »

Thanks so much Trandall and Jenna for coming back to me - very, very helpful.  Jenna - on the page you provided a link for I found a model policy - perfect, just what I was looking for!   I will definately approach my HR department armed with info I found here :)

Sarah.

Jenna

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 05:35:55 PM »

Oh that’s great to hear, Sarah, I’m so pleased you found what you needed!

Good luck with it all!  :)