Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Cystoscopy  (Read 2313 times)

groundhog

Cystoscopy
« on: April 19, 2023, 12:53:22 PM »

Hi ladies,
Following a difficult hysterectomy my bladder was damaged.  I get some UTI and have recently started in vagifem which has helped the external itching,  no UTI at present.  I’ve seen a urologist and he’s recommended a Cystoscopy - I’ve got severe health anxiety following the hysterectomy ( I ended uo with 3 stoma bags) and am nervous about any procedure . I can see many threads in Cystoscopy but wondered if I could connect with ladies who’ve had one recently and how did it go.
Did you have sedation ?
Thank you everyone

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cystoscopy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 01:11:03 PM »

What reason did the Consultant give for suggesting a cystoscopy?

Lovely to see you !

groundhog

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 01:51:49 PM »

Hi CLKD ,
Thank you for the welcome back.
Well I’ve been having UTI - about 3 in the last year.  The fistula ( caused by the hysterectomy as you know) is in the top of the bladder.  They think the residual inflammation from the fistula is affecting the bladder.  I’ve had some pink urine.  So I think once you mention blood, a Cystoscopy is recommended.  I’m nervous CLKD as I’m sure you can understand but it would be nice to know what’s going on.
Just wondered if any of the ladies on here has had once recently and how was it ?

Joanies

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 02:14:09 PM »

Hello.  I have a cystocopy this Friday and I’m very scared too! Only just joined this forum but had some very helpful replies when I posted about blood in urine.  I’m having a flexible one so no sedation just numbing gel which I gather is fine.  I too have health anxiety resulting in major anxiety attacks usually.  Blood in urine always gets a referral to urology  apparently. 

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 02:39:33 PM »

MayB ring the Dept to see if sedation is required, if so you will need to be driven to and from the appt. 

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 02:40:05 PM »

Oh and the Forum has a glitch so repeats new threads several times  ::)

holidaylover

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 07:43:46 PM »

Hi groundhog, I had a cystoscopy a couple of years back after blood was found in a urine sample.  It was not painful whatsoever, and it was over and done with extremely quickly. The area was slightly numbed with a cream first.  The nurses and the doctor carrying out the procedure just chatted away with me while it was being done.  I had no sedation but I don't recall being offered any to be honest.  If I remember I think it was a wee bit sore to pee for a bit after but that was all.  I'd have one again without any worries.  Hope this goes some way to reassure you. 

Joanies

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 07:56:36 PM »

Hello.  Did they give you a reason for the blood in your urine?

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 08:13:38 PM »

Groundhog - Is the Urologist aware of your medical history?

Delphin

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2023, 09:25:25 PM »

Hi Groundhog
I have recently had a flexible cystoscopy done privately in January of this year after suffering months of UTI symptoms which in fact I think was being caused by vaginal atrophy as I now have a Estring fitted and things seem to be improving very slowly. I too was nervous about having a cystoscopy done but it was over so quickly, literally 5-10 minutes and I only had the numbing gel but honestly didn’t feel a thing and was surprised that I hadn’t felt anything when the camera was inserted. You get to see the pictures of your bladder on a large screen and everything they find is explained to you, fortunately my bladder was fine and no abnormalities were found. Please try not to worry it was really no worse than having a smear test done and I had no pain at all afterwards and was able to drive home and carried on with my day. I would have no hesitation in having another one done and it’s better to have these things checked out for peace of mind. I hope this reassures you as it is such a quick and easy procedure, good luck!

holidaylover

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 12:46:11 PM »

Joanies, they couldn't give me a reason for the blood in the urine.  The doctor who carried out the procedure was not in the slightest concerned and said it was a very common thing for ladies who have gone through menopause.  Seemed a kind of run of the mill procedure and its good you are getting checked.  Best of luck.

Joanies

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 01:30:41 PM »

Thank you for replying , so reassuring x