Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Full Hysterectomy any advice please  (Read 3937 times)

Ruby10

Full Hysterectomy any advice please
« on: January 19, 2023, 09:03:58 AM »

I am having a full hysterectomy next week so womb , ovaries and cervix will all be removed  so any advice would be welcome to get through this please. My womb lining is too thick and I have  ovarian cysts which are quite big so it will be good to get rid of it all and no more pain and other symptoms from it  :) It will be an abdominal hysterectomy rather than keyhole as the cysts are too big.
Anyone who has been through this any advice would be welcome or if you have surgery coming up it would be nice to chat on here.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Full Hysterectomy any advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 12:20:43 PM »

Hi! someone will be along I'm sure. Have U looked into hystersisters?  I believe it's US-based full of helpful info..

The main advice I will give is buy nighties that button down the front, not those to pull over the head!!!! because the body may be stiff and sore as well as it being quicker during Ward Rounds.  A pair of pretty knickers to save modesty ;-).

:foryou:   have U cooked for the freezer?  U won't be able to lift anything much heavier than a G&T or the kettle ;-)

Amazing grace

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 04:00:00 PM »

Hi ruby10 , I had an hysterectomy 5 years ago at age 43, my was different to yours as I retained my ovaries due to being young and I had keyhole and removal of the uterus and cervix via the vagina, my was for 2 large fibroids and persistent heavy bleeding, my advice would be very prepared for the recovery even if you feel well it’s vital you stick to the recovery plan they give you, absolutely no lifting nothing heavier than a kettle, showers only until your healing is complete this is normally when you have your post op check , make your bedroom a comfy place to be I brought lots of books to read and lots of box sets on Netflix to watch , do you have someone who’s going to be helping you , if not get lots of meals pre cooked so you not standing cooking for a long time , I was lucky that my husband was able to take 3 weeks off work, after that my daughters took it in turn to help me out, I honestly had a good quick recovery because I stuck to the rules, you will see a physio in hospital before you are discharged , sex is out of the question until the consultant says you are ok to do so , but in all honesty that was the last thing I was thinking about , hystersisters forum is definitely the place to go for support and advice , they were and still are an amazing support to me , it is American based but lots of English ladies on there , everyone is so welcoming and friendly, because it’s solely for ladies who have had an hysterectomy they really know what you are experiencing , my hysterectomy and recovery went really well and I don’t regret having it done I’ve had no complications at all , my advice would also be to stay away from negative forums about hysterectomy’s I made that mistake and it made me delay having it done, how do you feel about having the actual operation? And how do you feel about it on an emotional level?, I think there’s a few on here that have had an hysterectomy but I really recommend hystersisters you will find mountains of support on there , best wishes and good luck with the operation x

Ruby10

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 05:38:59 PM »

Thanks for the info,  yes I have meals in the freezer ready and help on standby at home to help . I will be glad when it’s all done as it getting harder each day with the pressure and aching in my stomach and pains down my legs .

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 06:06:23 PM »

Get out and buy those nighties then get those feet up!

Amazing grace

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 06:12:22 PM »

I know what you mean about the pressure and aching I had that , I had horrible pressure on my bladder and bowels from my enlarged uterus , I was so happy to free from that post op , not too much longer to wait for you now , you will feel so much better after your surgery x

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 12:07:14 AM »

No experience but I hope it all goes well. You don't say how old you are but if you aren't meno yet make sure you have hrt sorted out beforehand.

Ali P

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 12:27:30 PM »

Hope it all goes well
Mine was around 10yrs ago. I followed rules and had no real problems with recovery. I wouldn’t lift a kettle for a week or so. Try it now before you go in. It’s quite surprising how much stomach muscle you use!
 I did have, others and you may not, severe internal wind the morning after. It travelled up into my chest and  shoulders. Thought I was having a heart attack. The nurse did very very briefly. I think it’s to do with what goes on when they open you up. Apparently he had a good “rummage around” while he was in there. It eased after about 10 mins.  Had little bouts of trapped wind over a few weeks but that settled. Maybe don’t eat things that cause wind eg onions
 Cut got infected but cleared after antibiotics.  Did my best to follow rules but these thing can happen just look out for any unusual discharge
None of these caused me a great deal of grief
Take care x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 02:44:25 PM »

That has reminded me: my friend "had enough wind to fly a kite"  ;)

mandss

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 03:58:34 PM »

I am 4 month post op from a full hysterectomy, Hysterectomy sisters on fb is an amazing group, I have learned so much on there, well worth a look, good luck and DM me if you need any thing x