Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Patch placement - thigh?  (Read 542 times)

Clarella

Patch placement - thigh?
« on: January 19, 2023, 06:17:02 AM »

Currently put estradot just above pubic triangle, alternating.

I wondered if, as Utrogestan when taken vaginally can be “getting closer” to where it’s needed, there might be more oestrogen going right to the womb. Could placing on high thigh lessen that? (I once saw that’s what Davina does.)

Or is it that utro orally is just so different compared to vaginally?

Hurdity

Re: Patch placement - thigh?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 09:43:30 AM »

Hi Clarella

Looks like your post got missed.

Yes there is an enormous difference between oral and vaginal administration of Utrogestan - because when used vaginally the progesterone diffuses up through the cervix and straight to the womb where it acts on the receptors etc at a much higher dose than when used orally. Orally it goes through digestion and the liver so only a fraction of the actual dose gets into the system and has to be transported through the blood stream to the uterus. (Even so the manufacturers recommend using the same dose vaginally as orally).

There should be no difference in how much oestrogen gets into the system ie the blood stream and therefore to the uterus when patches are applied to different parts of the body.

Here is what it says in a paper on absorption etc:

"Whether administered by means of a patch or
gel, estradiol diffuses through the stratum corneum,
epidermis and dermis, where it penetrates
into the blood capillary system. The continuous
estrogen flow is caused by a concentration
gradient between the application site and the
capillary vessels"

(Pharmacology of estrogens and
progestogens: influence of different
routes of administration
H. Kuhl 2005)

Once in the capillaries the heart does its job in pumping the blood round the body pretty rapidly.

The only exception to this is that we are advised not to apply transdermal oestrogen on the upper part of the body on or close to the breasts and in fact with some (most?) preparations it is recommended only to apply to the lower body. I think this will be more to do with being transported through the skin and directly to the breast tissue rather than the blood stream - though I haven't read anything about the details ie how this works.

So in terms of placement of patch - anywhere on lower body is fine. I've always put mine on alternating butt cheeks.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x