Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is this perimenopause  (Read 1554 times)

Rachlou88

Re: Is this perimenopause
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2023, 10:18:17 AM »

It's just so odd because I didn't have a period for 12 months on the mini pill then all.of a sudden this spotting started to happen and with health anxiety I was thinking it was something sinister

Rachlou88

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 02:27:50 PM »

So I had my phone call appointment with the doctors she seems to think it's my pill making me bleed like this I mentioned peri menopause and she said its highly unlikely she is going to do an exam and some swabs to rule things out

Flossieteacake

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 03:12:48 PM »

So I had my phone call appointment with the doctors she seems to think it's my pill making me bleed like this I mentioned peri menopause and she said its highly unlikely she is going to do an exam and some swabs to rule things out

I would not say it is highly unlikely you are going through peri. How can the DR possibly know that. I guess it could be the pill causing the bleeding. It is just a shame when they are so quick to rule out peri without any reason. In my opinion the pill would not be causing the hot flashes and brain fog.

Rachlou88

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2023, 11:51:49 AM »

This was my thought too, plus forster 12 months on this pill I had no periods at all still none really just get this brown stringy spotting

Flossieteacake

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2023, 11:53:20 AM »

This was my thought too, plus forster 12 months on this pill I had no periods at all still none really just get this brown stringy spotting

It really frustrates me when GPs are so quick to dismiss peri. It is like ignore all the symptoms we have.

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2023, 09:20:03 AM »

Hi Rachlou88

While peri-menopause cannot be dismissed - nor can it be indicated while you are on the mini-pill as I understand - though I guess menopausal symptoms may eventually show through. Also blood tests (for FSH) won't show anything. The only way to tell if you are anywhere near peri-menopause, I would say, is to stop the mini-pill and wait for your normal cycles to resume - which can take some time.

It is known that desogestrel pills (Cerazette) cause depression of oestrogen levels so theoretically may lead to some menopausal symptoms. Here is what it says in the product info:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1698/smpc#gref

"Treatment with Cerazette leads to decreased estradiol serum levels, to a level corresponding with the early follicular phase. It is as yet unknown whether the decrease has any clinically relevant effect on bone mineral density."

Also some info here about bleeding:

"4.8 Undesirable effects

The most commonly reported undesirable effect in the clinical trials is bleeding irregularity. Some kind of bleeding irregularity has been reported in up to 50% of women using Cerazette. Since Cerazette causes ovulation inhibition close to 100%, in contrast to other progestogen-only pills, irregular bleeding is more common than with other progestogen-only pills. In 20 - 30% of the women, bleeding may become more frequent, whereas in another 20% bleeding may become less frequent or totally absent. Vaginal bleeding may also be of longer duration. After a couple of months of treatment, bleedings tend to become less frequent. Information, counselling, and a bleeding diary can improve the woman's acceptance of the bleeding pattern."

Personally at your age I wouldn't want to be on a tablet like this long term because of the reduction in oestrogen levels.

It's good that any abnornal bleeding is checked out, but if you like to take hormonal contraception in tablet form I would consider one of thse modern combined pills that also contain oestrogen - like Qlaira or Zoely. I think Qlaira is higher dose. That way you would be getting more estradiol that would be expected for a women of your age.

One guide to when you might expect to become menopausal is when your mother went through menppause, if you know this.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

Rachlou88

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2023, 03:11:29 PM »

Thank you for this info unfortunately due to my weight and age I can not go on combined pill, and I'm not sure about my mum as she had to have a hysterectomy at 40 due to prolapse so she never really knew what was going on before that but thank you for the info just confused me abit as I was on it with no periods for 12 months then started with this odd spotting still no proper periods I will update once doc has seen me but I suppose it cam happen on this pill
Pages: 1 [2]