Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: HRT or Anti-Depressant for Anxiety?  (Read 13197 times)

Fiona1968

Re: HRT or Anti-Depressant for Anxiety?
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2023, 06:30:55 PM »

I understand that thoughts are linked to feelings but thoughts aren't always the root cause of the anxiety.  Sometimes, I will wake and feel panicky for no reason.  The therapist is talking rubbish saying that the person must have thought about something which triggered the anxiety.

Fiona1968, I'm surprised that after 10 years postmeno, you're having anxiety and panic attacks. One would have thought that everything would have settled after that time.

Karine

Hi Karine

I am exactly the same when it comes to my anxiety. Nothing specific triggers it and it just comes over me but jeez the impact on day to day work, social etc activities has been really difficult.

I thought the same that after 10 years without any problems, it can’t be hormones and that is why I tried the Mirtazapine on its own, hoping it would help with the anxiety. I am hoping the CBT will help.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 06:39:15 PM by Fiona1968 »

KarineT

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2023, 12:07:40 PM »

Hi Fiona1968,

Sometimes I do think negative and it might mske me anxious but thoughts do not always cause anxiety. Anxiety can come out of the blue.  I have had cbt  before I'm not sure if it really works or if it's short-lived.  I have issues linked to the past, having been brought up by a dysfunctional family & having had bad experience at school & work in the past.  I would say I'm a sensitive person and it would make more likely to have anxiety than someone who hasn't had any past issues. Sometimes I'm not sure if my anxiety is meno or psychologically related. 

CBT might work for you but have you considered having your thyroid checked?
Were you on HRT before and stopped?  As for your hormones, after 10 years postmeno, they will be very low but they should be stable.

Fiona1968

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2023, 12:39:19 PM »

Hi Karine

I haven’t had any issues with Anxiety in the past. I have the normal worries with day to day life etc but nothing specific that rears its ugly head on an ongoing basis.

I had my thyroid checked at the end of last year and nothing was flagged by the GP. I have never used HRT as  I never felt the need to. I am still undecided about trying the Evorel Conti patches but I’ll not know if it helps with the Anxiety unless I give them I go.

I have a GP telephone consultation on Wednesday so will see what she says.

KarineT

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2023, 02:09:38 PM »

So, for you, it's just kicked in out of nowhere?  I'm shocked that this is happening. I would say that it could be a surge in cortisol but why now when you had nothing for almost 10 years? It's beyond me. Now if the anxiety is also happening at work, it's must be even more problematic.

KarineT

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2023, 04:20:23 PM »

Sorry to hear all this.

I do get nauseous as well from time to time in the morning.  This is probably because of the anxiety.

For me, all this started in peri. I'm now 3 years postmeno.  I don't know if it's a combination of meno and my terrible past resurfacing but this anxiety is hard to control at times.

Fiona1968

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2023, 04:36:50 PM »

I feel for you too Karine.

It’s also hard for work colleagues, friends, family etc  because unlike a broken leg which you can clearly see is broken, Anxiety is simmering away on the inside of me and not so obvious to the outside world!
I’m screaming inside to “get me out of here” and everyone else sees me looking fine..

Can I ask if you take HRT and did it help with your Anxiety?

KarineT

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2023, 11:56:11 AM »

Hi Fiona1968,

I understand your pain and anxiety, as you said, is not obvious to the outside world but it terrible for us sufferers. In fact it can be debilitating as it's, sometimes, paralysing. It should be regarded as a disability. I still can't comprehend that you've never had it before but 10 years after your last period, it kicks in.  Why?

I've never been on HRT because I'm worried about the side-effects.  As for anti-anxiety medication, I'm worried about the side-effects and becoming dependent on it.

sheila99

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2023, 12:02:21 PM »

My worst symptoms were anxiety and insomnia, both cured by hrt though it did take 3 months on it. If your anxiety arrived with peri there's a good chance hrt will cure it (though obviously there are other causes of anxiety too).

Fiona1968

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2023, 12:11:22 PM »

Hi Fiona1968,

I understand your pain and anxiety, as you said, is not obvious to the outside world but it terrible for us sufferers. In fact it can be debilitating as it's, sometimes, paralysing. It should be regarded as a disability. I still can't comprehend that you've never had it before but 10 years after your last period, it kicks in.  Why?

I've never been on HRT because I'm worried about the side-effects.  As for anti-anxiety medication, I'm worried about the side-effects and becoming dependent on it.

Hi Karine

My GP is at a loss too which doesn’t really help. She tends  to just go with what I suggest to try…

I’m not good with tablets and always seem to get the horrible side effects but I must admit after a couple of weeks of grogginess on the Mirtazapine the side effects passed, just a pity they didn’t help with the Anxiety.

Fiona1968

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2023, 12:16:48 PM »

My worst symptoms were anxiety and insomnia, both cured by hrt though it did take 3 months on it. If your anxiety arrived with peri there's a good chance hrt will cure it (though obviously there are other causes of anxiety too).

Hi Sheila

Thanks for your message and I’m glad HRT helped with your Anxiety. I’m 10 years post menopause and only now getting Anxiety so still not 100% sure about starting HRT for the first time.

I have ordered Saffrosun calm which I read on another thread in Menopause Matters so will give that a go.

KarineT

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2023, 01:46:36 PM »

Hi Sheila,

So, I guess that if someone is anxious by nature, HRT won't help.

Karine

Kathleen

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2023, 07:59:45 PM »

Hello ladies.

Surges of anxiety and mood changes are a daily occurrence  for me unfortunately.

I was never the calmest person on the planet but I believe that these sensations are unique to the menopause.

There is a paragraph in my trusty Meno book that describes feelings of unease and a fluttering, internal shaking feeling. Apparently many women report this and it is due to low oestrogen levels. When I first read this it didn't resonate with me at all as I was still having regular periods and had no peri symptoms. Fast forward about five years and I can tick every box in the book plus the above description sums up my day!

For me the emotional/ psychological symptoms are the most troublesome. I am on a medium dose of gel and low dose of progesterone, I also take an antidepressant because I was told that HRT isn't always sufficient for anxiety.

I hope that my poor old body will eventually get the memo and adjust to a life of low oestrogen and calmness will prevail. I am keeping everything crossed but still taking the meds lol.

Wishing you all well ladies.

K.

Fiona1968

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2023, 08:47:13 PM »

Hello ladies.

Surges of anxiety and mood changes are a daily occurrence  for me unfortunately.

I was never the calmest person on the planet but I believe that these sensations are unique to the menopause.

There is a paragraph in my trusty Meno book that describes feelings of unease and a fluttering, internal shaking feeling. Apparently many women report this and it is due to low oestrogen levels. When I first read this it didn't resonate with me at all as I was still having regular periods and had no peri symptoms. Fast forward about five years and I can tick every box in the book plus the above description sums up my day!

For me the emotional/ psychological symptoms are the most troublesome. I am on a medium dose of gel and low dose of progesterone, I also take an antidepressant because I was told that HRT isn't always sufficient for anxiety.

I hope that my poor old body will eventually get the memo and adjust to a life of low oestrogen and calmness will prevail. I am keeping everything crossed but still taking the meds lol.

Wishing you all well ladies.

K.

Hi Kathleen

Thank you for your message. I’m glad you have found the right combination of HRT and AD and I hope you also find calmness in your day to day life. We’re not asking for much😊

Fiona

KarineT

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2023, 01:27:10 PM »

Hi Kathleen

I do hope this is helping you but it's terrible to realise that low oestrogen has the power to cause emotional distress.

The sensations you describe, I get them from time to time.  I'm a sensitive person and I'm always worried that someone at work is going to say something bad to me and I'm going to crumble.  I do visualise being in control if this happens but my brain always goes back to bad things and it makes me feel particularly insecure. I have to say, I've always been an anxious person since I was 5 or 6 years old. 

I'm not on HRT or AD.  I am worried about the side-effects of these.

Karine
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 01:54:22 PM by KarineT »

Fiona1968

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2023, 01:46:05 PM »

I had my GP telephone consultation this morning and she has suggested stopping the Mirtazapine and giving the Everel Conti patches a go. I’ll give them a go for 3 months hopefully and see if they help.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7