Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: My Oestradiol levels on HRT  (Read 1231 times)

Tracy Allgonewrong

My Oestradiol levels on HRT
« on: January 16, 2023, 09:44:00 PM »

Hello, newbie to the forum here.
I've been on HRT for about 3 months. I was put on HRT without previous hormonal serum test, on the phone, pure GP current style.
I'm presently on Utrogestan 100mg (3 days ago I started taking it vaginally as it was messing up my stomach)
and on Sandrena (Oestradiol get sachets) 0.5mg

I've just had a blood test showing OESTRADIOL < 88 pmol/L
I need advice from all you wise people here on how to interpret this...

Joaniepat

Re: My Oestradiol levels on HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 07:39:17 AM »

Hi Tracey, welcome to the forum!

You are on a starting dose of Sandrena and it was correct for the GP to do this. Normally you'd have a review after three months and increase as necessary. However, it is usual to start low and slow.

It's worth noting that not everyone absorbs transdermal products in the same way, and some find a patch more effective than the gels. However, as you have only just started, it will be worth increasing the Sandrena to 1mg after 3 months and see how you go.

JP x

Tracy Allgonewrong

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 09:23:58 AM »

Thank you so much. Very helpful. I still have 3 small fibroids left after a Uterine Embolisation and have been feeling anxious about feeding them their beloved estrogen. I do not want to have a 20cm measuring uterus ever again 😫 But I guess 1mg Sandrena is the way to go.

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 12:26:37 PM »

Tracy, that is a very low oestrogen reading and about the same as my baseline level when not taking HRT and I'm 15 years post menopause.

To give you a comparison, I'm using just one generous pump of Oestrogel every day and my oestrogen levels are always around 280 pmol (77 pg/mL).

Pippa52

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 02:02:09 PM »

Hi Tracy and welcome.... that is a low reading but it is early days yet and hopefully after a few months your level will increase.  As others have rightly  said not everybody absorbs transdermal oestrogen the same.  I was on Oestrogel and had a level of only 53 so was literally not really absorbing it at all.  I have been swapped on to Estradot patches now and await my next blood test in March to see if the levels have gone up  - it really is a matter of finding out which delivery method suits you the best and then levelling out on the right dose for you - I am beginning to feel better so hopefully the patches are starting to work.  Hope so much you will start to see an improvement very soon too. xxx

Tracy Allgonewrong

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 08:35:08 AM »

Thank you to everyone who replied. I am now rubbing in 1mg of estradiol. I have also started taking 0.5mg of sublingual melatonin (self prescribed) and I am sleeping for the first time in over a year...

Pippa52

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 11:28:25 AM »

That's brilliant news so pleased for you xx

Tracy Allgonewrong

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 01:40:26 PM »

On 1mg daily Sandrena for four months now, but blood test has just shown oestradiol < 100 pmol/L
Waiting for Dr to get back to me about it, but this ain't working, is it?  :(

Bungo

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 04:19:36 PM »

Tracy, that is a very low oestrogen reading and about the same as my baseline level when not taking HRT and I'm 15 years post menopause.

To give you a comparison, I'm using just one generous pump of Oestrogel every day and my oestrogen levels are always around 280 pmol (77 pg/mL).
Is that 24 hours after last application of gel? Isn't it amazing how can be differently absorbed by people.

Mary G

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 04:26:37 PM »

Is that 24 hours after last application of gel? Isn't it amazing how can be differently absorbed by people.

It was about 12 hours after applying the gel.   The blood was taken from my arm but I put the gel on my inner thighs.

I'm pretty sure it's accurate because I'm very post menopause and the figure is always roughly the same every time I have a blood test.   Interestingly, it came out the same when I used to apply the gel to my arms.

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2023, 04:28:35 PM »

On 1mg daily Sandrena for four months now, but blood test has just shown oestradiol < 100 pmol/L

It sounds like you are still not absorbing the gel.   Have you tried Oestrogel yet?   

Tracy Allgonewrong

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2023, 04:19:20 PM »

It sounds like you are still not absorbing the gel.   Have you tried Oestrogel yet?

Thanks Mary G, no, I'm still on Sandrean gel sachets. Trying to reach the consultant for comment following the blood test.