Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting petrified. Think I’m falling apart  (Read 2029 times)

Lauz7

Getting petrified. Think I’m falling apart
« on: January 16, 2023, 10:26:49 AM »

Hello all… doctors seem to think it’s health anxiety but I feel like I am going crazy with worry now and not sure what to do anymore.
Can it be hormonal changes? Is it something sinister? I really don’t know anymore and I’m getting so confused

Everything is so intermittent and no rhyme or reason to it, just happens some days, other days not. Maybe bad for a week or two. Then not. I’m only 36 (nearly!) and on the combined pill! Can anyone relate at all??? I feel like it’s too unusual to be peri when the doc has now say 1 in 1000 women get peri at my age

-Random joint and arm ache and general heaviness in alternate arms since last year
-hormonal ache despite pill (been on it two years) had second baby 2 years ago
-not interested in sex anymore whatsoever
-pelvic heaviness for two weeks then went away ; happened twice last year, really odd)
-The odd sharp pain and sometimes itchiness under an armpit- recently started
-Shooting pains in breasts and chest (since May last year, intermittently)
-Itchy nipple on and off now, no rash, but now I am getting absolutely petrified it’s inflammatory breast cancer because of shooting pains and itchy nipple 

Want to cry!

Booroo

Re: Getting petrified. Think I’m falling apart
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 10:37:26 AM »

I was like that with itchy nipple and breast drove me insane I was probably 48 at time went to breast clinic and she said it was eczema and to moisturise lot’s especially after shower and bath etc.

Lauz7

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 10:40:06 AM »

Thanks booroo… it’s freaking me out now as no doctor seems worried… they say it’s not going to be cancer and of course that’s good to hear but then what in earth is making a randomly itchy nipple (never had it before) and it’s not flaky or dry or red (thankfully) but I’m Getting Worried it’s going to get worse and this is the beginning of something :(
Especially With armpit aches on and off

Booroo

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 11:29:28 AM »

Have you had a face to face appointment or was it over the phone? I did a Livi one and sent pictures was embarrassing it got referred

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 11:51:08 AM »

Yep.  Early menopause is common.

Have a LookC at the daisy web-site specifically for 'early' menopause .   Make notes ;-).

As oestrogen levels drop in peri-menopause, the body may become dry: inside and out; scalp, nostrils, deep in the ears, nipples, vagina ........ and muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Without an examination no one can say 'it's not going to be cancer'!

Is there a Nurse Practitioner at your Surgery?  Or it may be quicker to keep a mood/food/symptom diary and ask for an appt. to a dedicated NHS menopause Clinic (not a Gynae).  There are waiting lists.

VanillaLover

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 12:36:04 PM »

Hello,

Yes the whole intermittent/coming and going thing of symptoms rings a bell!

Sounds like could be hormones, also sounds like you are very anxious and worried about it and probably getting a bit hyper-vigilant! Which I totally understand. I am terrible for anxiety and health anxiety can get a hold really easily.

I would second CLKD suggestion about keeping a diary of symptoms. You may be able to pick out patterns. Write when your periods are and when any of their symptoms are troubling you.

I did that and realised that things were cycle related. Looking back some things had been going on intermittently as you say for a couple of years before I began the diary even.

Weirdly I get the shooting pain thing too, is it definitely from breast? I think mine are actually from ribs/intercostal muscles. I used to press on the area with the pain and reproduce it and eventually realised it was muscular. It’s really easy to overstrain muscles when you have hormonal changes and I found that when I was anxious I was holding myself tensely too which just made everything even worse!

I also get the itchy nipple thing too! Always have done to be honest. Not all the time, just occasionally. Who knows what causes that! I just put it in the same category as random itchy sole of foot or something.

Hugs. Vanilla

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 12:36:53 PM »

I put hand cream on my itchy nipples.  A gentle application helps.

Lauz7

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 01:47:27 PM »

Yeah! Always something coming and going it seems nowadays, I don’t remember any of this before last summer. Now I feel like I am constantly feeling something.
That’s when the shooting pains in the breasts started, although I would say they are a lot better now overall. The Itchy nipple is not an all day thing or anything, just from time to time but has been often this past week and it feels creepy crawly in general.

You are right that I am a bit hyper vigilant, I do pay close attention to things I feel in my body but must admit, have never been ‘hypochondriac’ or anything until much more recently. So makes me a bit anxious. And the doctors then sort of use that as a reason for my symptoms.

Had a breast ultrasound last July which was fine. But the armpit pains and nipple itchiness has only been recently. Had bloods too, as shooting chest pains. Again put down to msk or anxiety. But I don’t know about that. There’s a variety of things. I don’t like not knowing what causes things!

Lauz7

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 01:55:47 PM »

Also thanks CLKD- I will be honest. I didn’t realise early symptoms of menopause were so common, I can’t get this sort of info from my Doctors. ‘No no it’s not menopause’. They don’t seem to think it’s a thing and that ‘you’re 35 and shouldn’t have aches and pains, go and do some exercise’ (yes, really. And by the way- I am active and I do exercise!) And generally totally dismissing it.
Another gp I saw (privately) thinks it could be so discussed trying hrt. Which I am up for.
Nothing is lumpy, or bumpy or swollen thankfully, and I cannot replicate any pain when I touch an area. No tenderness. Just pains that come when they want. So bloody strange. I just feel so alone!! I just want to know that there are others that may have had the same. Especially as my age.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023, 01:59:18 PM »

Yep.  HORMONES  >:(  ::)  which GPs still don't = with various odd symptoms.  Browse round.

trandall

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023, 08:50:32 PM »

Hi Lauz totally get you about the anxiety and really weird symptoms this drive me mad and made me think something must be wrong and it took a while for me to understand it but I still have times where I cannot cope but can feel fine 2 weeks later. Any aches and pains I get I immediately think it is sinister and can’t stop asking people for reassurance including GP. I’ve also had the itchy nipple and ended up having a mammogram and all was well. I am on HRT patches now and this definitely helps, also do meditation and use calms when needed. Hopefully being in the forum will help you to see we all have similar symptoms just in a different way and at different stages keep in touch and talk about it

Lauz7

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 07:32:39 AM »

Hi Trandall… and thank you, it’s great to know you have felt/do feel similarly and that the hrt helps. That’s encouraging to know and I do think I will be giving it a go. Got discussion appt on Friday.

I woke up today with random pain in my upper breast and underarm  (can’t replicate it) and then my arm aches and fingers feel vaguely tingly, there’s just no rhyme or reason to it. And then the other side will hurt a bit too.
I’m worried sick but then, I was last month too!

Can the sensations really make you feel like something is seriously wrong? Or am I over exaggerating?

Lauz7

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2023, 11:51:15 AM »

Also one other thing ladies high heart rate?! - my heart rate has been really high (I mean resting heart rate, at least 90bpm) but not all the time… and I don’t feel especially anxious at those times in terms of thoughts but it’s like physically?
I take citalopram 20mg for years now and I am fine with it, so this seems odd to be extra anxious at times now. Hormonal also?
I think I need to come off Yasmin…

Booroo

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2023, 11:58:59 AM »

Also one other thing ladies high heart rate?! - my heart rate has been really high (I mean resting heart rate, at least 90bpm) but not all the time… and I don’t feel especially anxious at those times in terms of thoughts but it’s like physically?
I take citalopram 20mg for years now and I am fine with it, so this seems odd to be extra anxious at times now. Hormonal also?
I think I need to come off Yasmin…

I took my Apple Watch off for that reason I kept checking and you end up in a cycle not good and yes I do

Lauz7

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2023, 12:22:43 PM »

I haven’t worn my Fitbit for ages now but it was more the doctor spotted it when I complained of the armpit aches and burning feeling, and then he said it can be hormone related or anxiety to have such a high rest heart rate

I’m fed up- this cannot be anxiety
anymore.
Today my arms really ache for no proper reason and one of my underarms and boobs hurts quite a lot! On and off! Other boob slightly less pain.
 As I say, I take Yasmin, been on it since having my second baby 2 years ago.
I am starting to think I should come off it
Pages: [1] 2