Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Heightened mood/anxiety side effect with oestrogen?  (Read 1647 times)

BoggyAnkles

• First Flush
Heightened mood/anxiety side effect with oestrogen?
« on: July 04, 2021, 07:18:44 AM »

Hi All . 

Advice please; currently 3 mths in on 3rd trial HRT - Estraderm75 patches/Cyclogest200 5 days every 6-8 weeks.  I had mood issues with previous HRTs (putting it down to progesterone) GP wont prescribe Urtrogestan vaginally.  Seen at nhs meno clinic, who are 'taking advice' on my request to use it that way (I'd rather not have withdrawal bleed) and to try a gel and reducing oestrogen to 50.
Flushes, sweats, vagina, sleep improved but issues with heightened mood/emotions/anxiety started on week 3 of Estraderm. 
Also developed bad indigestion/reflux at week 6 (just before starting 1st progesterone cycle) triggering panic attacks.  Is that likely to be a a side effect of oestrogen too or the fact that my anxiety has ramped up? Unsure whether to persevere, as come this far but it's impacting on daily life.
GP wants to add anti depressant, meno consultant advises against. Ugh! 

Thanks in advance.
Boggy
date last period - Oct 15.
sero negetive inflammatory arthirtis - Jan 19.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Heightened mood/anxiety side effect with oestrogen?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 08:24:01 AM »

Morning.  How were you during your mensturation years?

A few days prior to a period I would get rages: issues that I coped with month round would become HUGE  :cuss: and I would FLY! 

The night B4 bleed began, I would sob.  Great heaving sobs.  Even if a period wasn't due, it was there the next morning.

MayB keep a mood/food/symptom diary.  Many ladies use anti-anxiety and HRT at the same time.  Quality of Life is the most important thing for us all.  Some ADs do ease anxiety but a specific drug would help.

For any vaginal problems, an appropriate treatment is available: we have 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy' threads here, do read.  Make notes ;-)

blondie82

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 10:28:42 AM »

Hi, I wondered how you were getting on as I know this post was a while back.
I have been on HRT for two months and the anxiety and panic is horrendous. This happens even when just on the Oestrogen. I posted about it but can’t get a straight answer as to whether this is normal as a side effect that is likely to subside.
I have used the Utrogestan vaginally and to be honest not hugely different apart from not getting nausea but it still causes intense moods and at one stage and didn’t care if I lived or died I felt so low.
I am trying different ways of taking that but the Oestrogen as I say is triggering intense anxiety. I’m close to quitting.
I’m so on edge.
Would love to hear if you found a way to overcome it or found something that suited better.
Many thanks. X

Amazing grace

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 02:40:12 PM »

Hi blondie82, I had increased anxiety when I  first started hrt but it did settle once my body got used to it , around the 3 month mark my body finally accepted it, I also got awful anxiety in the form of feeling jittery, shaky on the verge of panic  when I’ve been on too much estrogen this happened when I increased the dose was fine for 3 weeks then the jitters hit and didn’t go until I dropped the dose back down, I started on patches everol 50 then moved to estrogel 2x pumps slowly moved to 4xpumps but the jittery feeling was terrible on the higher dose I waited the whole 3 months but it didn’t settle on that dose for me, I do better on the lower doses , just to add it’s estrogen that causes the heightened anxiety in me as I don’t use progesterone due to an hysterectomy , hope you manage to get a good balance soon it’s awful suffering anxiety, I currently use 3x pumps of estrogel and feel ok most of the time , but I’ve honestly never felt great on hrt sometimes I feel like it causes more problems than it solves for some of us .
Hoping everything settles for you soon x

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 02:53:25 PM »

What we're you on before? Anxiety can be a symptom of both too much and too little oestrogen. If it's a different type you may absorb it differently to your previous type. If it's from too much you would be better to reduce, I'm sure if you ever get used to it. Mine was from too little and it went completely after 3 months.
 Do you have a decent bleed? 5 days prog in 6 weeks sounds a bit iffy to me.
Utrogestan isn't licensed for vaginal use in the UK though it is in the rest of Europe and many people on here take it this way. It's the same dose and your gp isn't watching.