Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Muscle cramps and twitches  (Read 993 times)

justAJ

• First Flush
Muscle cramps and twitches
« on: January 14, 2023, 10:23:36 AM »

Hi everyone

Has anyone experienced muscle twitching and cramping? I have it so much, especially in my legs, but sometimes even my face muscles feel kind of stiff and sore. The twitching bothers me most, it's constant at the moment. It doesn't seem to do anything much. I mentioned it in passing to the doctor quite a while ago and she didn't say anything about it. It's a bit scary. I'm 54, on evorel conti patches, and otherwise pretty healthy. I seem to remember that I had twitches before I used the patches. I know peri-m can show up as any number of symptoms...just scared of this one. Any other experiences of this would be hugely helpful! Thanks all.

Flossieteacake

Re: Muscle cramps and twitches
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 10:24:46 AM »

Hello justAJ and welcome to the forum. I too get these odd twitches. It seems to be quite a common symptom from reading threads on here.

RebJT

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 10:27:58 AM »

Hiya

I don't know in relation to hormones, but these symptoms can also be low iron (or anaemia more generally inc B12 and folic acid) and also magnesium can really help.  For iron, you'd need your HB over 130 and your ferritin over 100 to dodge iron deficiency symptoms. 

I have baths with magnesium flakes and take a mag supplement.  I have a history of anaemia and I'm really vigilant on keeping everything optimal.

Reb
x

justAJ

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 10:59:23 AM »

Hi, thanks both. Yeah I'm supplementing with magnesium, just in case, and I have a pretty high iron diet... Though I've not had my levels checked for a long time. Perhaps that would be worth looking at. Thanks for the reassurance. It's crazy how the menopausal anxiety makes you think the worst!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2023, 12:01:24 PM »

Hi, thanks both. Yeah I'm supplementing with magnesium, just in case, and I have a pretty high iron diet... Though I've not had my levels checked for a long time. Perhaps that would be worth looking at. Thanks for the reassurance. It's crazy how the menopausal anxiety makes you think the worst!

Oh yes, all these new sensations and feelings really know how to make us anxious.

Rosti

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 10:48:42 AM »

Hi,

In addition to magnesium, folate etc, it could be a shortage in potassium.

HannonNY

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 11:06:29 AM »

Hello justAJ - I have recently experienced these symptoms as well and it sent me into a major health anxiety spiral.  I'm now seeing a counselor :)  Anyway, I do believe it's a combination of stress and hormones at the root of it.  I saw 2 neurologists and both checked out fine for anything serious although, I did just get diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome and I'm now on Iron Supplements as my ferritin level was very low.  I agree that you should get your blood work done and specifically look at your Iron.  That could be causing some of the issues.  This too shall pass!

tambourine queen

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 10:44:16 PM »

Hi
I have random twitchy lip/cheek muscles. I’ve had for a year now and have shown it to two GPS and both have gone ‘meh!’ Stress and hormones. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m also getting health anxiety counselling because mainly of this. Hang on in there! It’s a weird time.

justAJ

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 11:15:17 AM »

Thank you all... Its reassuring to hear you're not the only one! I've added potassium to the list 😁. I think the anxiety makes everything so much worse for us. If we could be sure there's light at the end of the tunnel, it would be easier to get through. Love to you all.