Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: How peri menopause is confirmed?  (Read 1043 times)

Polly

• First Flush
How peri menopause is confirmed?
« on: January 13, 2023, 06:24:15 PM »

I have struggled with erratic and more regular periods over the last year. I have also had some strong mood swings and been very irrational at times. I have no sex drive and often have brain fog.
I finally went to the GP who has said I’m peri menopausal and sent me away to read up on this website options for HRT.
I’m 42.
Is it usual not to have any blood tests or other tests to confirm this? I’ve had a stressful year and wonder if irregular periods are due to stress - how do you know if you’re peri menopausal or just stressed out?!

Flossieteacake

Re: How peri menopause is confirmed?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 06:26:59 PM »

Hello Polly and welcome to the forum. I think it can be really helpful to go by actual symptoms because for some of us we are in peri despite blood tests showing otherwise. The symptoms you describe are all common ones in peri and can be helped with HRT.

You are right that periods can be irregular due to stress but along with the brain fog it sounds to me quite like peri.

Polly

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 06:35:50 PM »

Thank you Flossieteacake.
I guess I just don’t want to take HRT if not needed and worry that brain fog is also due to stress and sleep deprivation (kids!). But from what I’ve read it’s very difficult to diagnose with blood tests as FSH varies so much.

Kaz210909

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 06:39:36 PM »

Hi Polly,

Your GP seems to have a different approach to mine, as I'm under 45 (43) they won't discuss HRT without blood tests first and then look at HRT due to family history of early menopause. My GP also wants to run general blood tests too, to ensure there's nothing else at play.

Sorry I can't be much more help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 06:46:51 PM »

Kaz - your GP may consider discussing HRT once your results are back.  In the mean time make a list of symptoms and which you would like to ease first.  If you meet with resistance, ask for a referral to a dedicated NHS menopause clinic - there are waiting lists - not a GYNE as they don't know a lot more!  'early' menopause can cover many years, from teens that never have a period to genetic history.  It shouldn't put off discussing HRT, after all if someone is adopted, they have no medical historical background.

Not everyone requires HRT.  Initially as periods waxed and waned, I knew it was The Change so wasn't particularly worried.  Apart from itchy skin across my shoulders and back after each bath, which lasted about 20 mins and required a gentle scratch from DH: until VA started I was OK.  I have been on an AD since 1988 so that may have helped relieve hot flushes. 

Brain fog comes with a lack of oestrogen, can happen in pregnancy too.  GPs should work on symptoms once other possibilities, i.e. thyroid, have been ruled out.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 07:47:43 PM »

Have a look at the 'advice for husbands' pinned post, your symptoms are all there. You're lucky to have a gp who can join the dots, many don't. There is a blood test to test your fsh levels but I don't think it's 100% accurate. Your symptoms seem classic peri to me. It's a personal decision to take hrt or not but by the sound of your symptoms you could benefit from it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 07:49:37 PM »

We have a thread: doing stupid things :  ;)