Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: 40 years old and told by doctors I’m not peri  (Read 668 times)

Miss S

• First Flush
40 years old and told by doctors I’m not peri
« on: January 12, 2023, 12:36:00 AM »

Hi all I’m new here and just needed some advice because it feels like I’m losing my marbles but each and every time I have been to the doctors(over 5 times last year alone) I’ve been told my bloods are normal and I’m too young to be peri. I have the brain fog, severe mood swings, insomnia (at times), hot flushes (these are the devil) migraines which last anything up to a week! I’m so tired of being told I don’t know my own body and this has been going on for nearly four years. Last time I went to the doctors she prescribed me anti anxiety tablets even though I brought in my peri diary and went through each symptom. Are blood tests accurate as I have read in several posts and websites that they are not. I need to start feeling normal again as I can’t do this anymore! If anyone has any info which I can take to the doctors or where else I can get actual help it would be greatly appreciated.

Flossieteacake

Re: 40 years old and told by doctors I’m not peri
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 08:59:30 AM »

Hello Miss S and welcome to the forum. I really am sorry you are not being listened to. It is very frustrating. I know bloods are recommended when under 45 but I personally had bloods and did not show peri despite being in peri. I wonder if you could ask to try a low dose HRT and ask. them to refer you to an NHS menopause clinic.

You do know your own body and it is frustrating not to be listened to.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 09:29:46 AM »

Hi Miss S,it's absolutely not true that you CANNOT be peri at your age,sadly some Drs are very naive re menopause and the first thing they tell us is A:we need antidepressants or B:we have anxiety (which of course we can have with meno) my friend hit menopause at 36 and has been on HRT for 20 years,so I would advise the same as Flossie,ask to be referred to a meno clinic. I would also suggest that you tell your Dr you have been on this forum and that you KNOW you CAN be peri in your 30s & 40 s,good luck and let us know how you get on x

Peanut31

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 09:34:54 AM »

Hi

Flossieteacake has given you some good advice.

When I started experiencing Menopausal symptoms that were too much for me (looking back they started a few years back) I contacted my GP and spoke to the nurse.

The nurse insisted on taking bloods, and was quite dismissive towards me telling me “we can’t blame the menopause on everything”

However, during that time there was a menopause GP talking on ITV’s This Morning about how bloods are irrelevant when peri menopausal, and they did a phone in, loads of ladies where being given anti depressants and told bloods are normal, when clearly they didn’t need antidepressants.

It was from watching that programme I made sure I wrote a list of my symptoms and armed myself with more knowledge, ready for my follow up call from the nurse.

To cut a very long story short the nurse that insisted on bloods was on holiday.

I got to speak to another nurse

Thinking I was going to have a battle on my hands, ready with my long list of my symptoms and ready to say “when peri menopause you can’t go by bloods”.

This nurse was the same age as me 44, and herself experiencing the same symptoms. She agreed to start me on HRT as she understood how I was feeling and didn’t even look at my bloods.

I started on HRT in June, but I’m trying to sort my dosage out as I need to tweak it still.

I did have a back up plan as I booked a zoom consultation with a GP at a private menopause clinic.  I kept that appointment as they prescribed me testosterone for my memory loss and lack of libido, and listen to symptoms not blood tests. I found they more knowledgeable and understanding.

Obviously, going private will be expensive, but can you ask to speak to the nurse at the GP surgery and by pass this doctor?

Don’t accept what the GP’s says, it’s you that living the hell of all the symptoms, not them.

Good luck
Peanut31

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 09:56:53 AM »

oh Girls Well Said all!

Morning.  It makes my blood boil when medics suggest that ladies are 'too young'.  Some girls never see a period, others have a few then stop.  Many women begin peri-menopause at any age.  Even having periods at the same time.  I could spit bricks  ::)

:welcomemm:  Miss S.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Ring your GP Surgery this morning and ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic: not a Gyane as they often don't know much! :  No one in the UK should have to pay for advice however, in some cases it may be quicker than waiting to be triaged .

Do buy a copy of Davina's recent book as well as 'me and my menopausal vagina', written by a member of MM.  Read, make notes and pass to your Surgery ;-

Let us know how you get on.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 09:57:32 AM »

Hormonal blood tests are reliably un-reliable !

Miss S

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 01:11:46 PM »

I am truly overwhelmed with all the advice you wonderful ladies have offered! I have started my diary and had that with me on my last appointment, not much use though because as soon as she looked at the results she had already made up her mind that it wasn’t peri. I will take on all the advice and call the doctors tomorrow. I will definitely let you all know how I get on. Once again it’s so lovely to be heard and understood.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 01:31:45 PM »

Pity that GPs aren't up to date  >:(

MayB point the Practice Manager in the direction of MM so that she can educate her practitioners ;-).  Keep in touch!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 01:36:17 PM »

I am truly overwhelmed with all the advice you wonderful ladies have offered! I have started my diary and had that with me on my last appointment, not much use though because as soon as she looked at the results she had already made up her mind that it wasn’t peri. I will take on all the advice and call the doctors tomorrow. I will definitely let you all know how I get on. Once again it’s so lovely to be heard and understood.

All the best for your appointment. :)

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 03:02:32 PM »

Yes,good luck Miss S,definitely mention that you have been on here,there are many MANY Drs who recommend this site,so let them know you've had some advice x