Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hip replacement surgery  (Read 633 times)

Vicky61

Hip replacement surgery
« on: January 12, 2023, 04:06:32 PM »

Good morning!

I have been on vagifem for a year now (3 ×'s a week) and I am scheduled for hip replacement surgery on February 16th.  I have read that it is recommended to stop vagifem 4-6 weeks before surgery as there is a risk of blood clots.  Also there is a risk of blood clots from the surgery anyhow, so a double whammy!   I have reached out to my surgeon and he said there is no problem, but I want to get others opinion in the meantime.  Thank you!

Ayesha

Re: Hip replacement surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 04:24:44 PM »

First of all I would like to say how envious I am you only need vagifem 3 times a week. It is so low risk I can't see any reason why you need to discontinue before any surgery but I am sure you will receive more informed information from the other ladies on here. Good luck with your surgery!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 04:27:53 PM »

Good Luck!

If your Surgeon suggests that there shouldn't be a problem, then mayB stop the 5 days B5 you are admitted.   :foryou:

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 11:06:47 PM »

I didn't think there was any (or negligible) risk of blood clot with transdermal hrt or local oestrogen? Is what you read based on transdermal or oral oestrogen? There is a risk with the old type of oral hrt.

Vicky61

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 10:41:57 AM »

I read the warning on the insert instructions as well as on the internet.  I've also reached out to my gynecologist for her recommendation.

Dotty