Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause/early menopause symptoms whilst on combined pill?  (Read 898 times)

Lauz7

Perimenopause/early menopause symptoms whilst on combined pill?
« on: January 08, 2023, 07:18:33 PM »

Hello all! I have posted before but thought I’d ask the specific question:

has anyone got experience of any Perimenopausal symptoms whilst on the combined pill? Mine is Yasmin.
 I have been on it for several years, (had my second baby 2 years ago, so have been on it again for 2 years).
I also take citalopram 20mg for ocd which works well and have taken it for over a decade.

The doctor thinks it is possible it is hormonal symptoms. Otherwise doesn’t seem sure what is causing symptoms!
Stuff like: Breast pains/shooting sensations in breast and chest area
Arm ache/wrist ache
Armpit ache
Hormonal acne

I will just add I had an ultrasound back in July (as I was having odd breast pains all the time) at breast clinic which was fine and had blood tests about 2 and a half months ago too… that show nothing sinister such as any inflammation markers etc. I take this as good news. But find it so strange when I have not experienced anything like this before. So it causes anxiety really. As I just have no idea what it can all be.

Any ideas? TIA!

Clarella

Re: Perimenopause/early menopause symptoms whilst on combined pill?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 08:46:54 PM »

I was never the same after my first child at 35…! I think I started to have peri symptoms not long afterwards. I was a lot better during pregnancy with baby two at 41 but then went head long into meno around 43.

It could be worth changing your contraception? Mirena would mean you’re half way there for hrt as it’s licensed for hrt.

Or there are some pills that might be more appropriate.

Floo36

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 09:10:46 AM »

I had meno symptoms whilst on eloine.  I never realised and no one ever said some of the problems I was having were hormonal, I thought I wouldn’t get meno symptoms whilst on the pill but I did.  I started with dry eyes, random joint pains in my wrist, thumb, feet , neck and shoulder, sleep became lighter, bladder frequency, anxiety that would come and go. 

Lauz7

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 05:30:40 PM »

Thank you both for this! It is interesting, isn’t it.
I saw the doctor this week (he’s experienced with womens health and menopause so felt he must not be too worried about anything kore sinister, plus I had a breast ultrasound in the summer when all the pains started initially) and he explained even though I’m on Yasmin, I can still experience hormonal symptoms due to Peri, and the best thing to do is try the hrt.
I am happy with this to be fair as it’s sort of the only way I will find out if the symptoms can be relieved. Also, it’s just odd.
Shooting in pains in breasts, some time one is worse than the other. Or a random itchy nipple for a few days and then nothing. Also feel like I don’t want anyone to touch them, if that makes sense? Not that they’re tender to actually touch. Does that make sense?
High resting heart rate. (Bloods have rules thyroid out and any inflammatory factors in the body)
 Anxiety not bad but then other days really bad.
Sore armpits were so bad for a couple of weeks and then now not. The odd sharp pain there every now and again.
Acne all under my chin and on my neck- it’s ghastly. Itchy spots on chest (hormonal ones)
Pelvic cramping in back in the autumn and then it just went randomly. Happened twice for no apparent reason. Was taking pregnancy tests as it felt so much like my cramps from early pregnancy.
And the worst wrist and arm joint ache but not all the time.
 So it must be hormonal right?!
It means contraception wise I will need the mirena I guess? To go with the hrt. Don’t fancy that. But needs must 😂