Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Does anyone know about, has anyone tried the Wim Hof method of cold, baths or sh  (Read 634 times)

Dandelion

https://www.wimhofmethod.com
Anyone tried this.
I'm only just reading about it myself.
Desperate to feel better mentally, I even started going swimming, early days yet though.
I don't own a shower, I'd have to empty my freezer and fill it with ice.
I'm currently doing a course, it cost nothing, it's in a book I bought, The Artsit's way, as I am an arty writery type.

KaraShannon

I've heard of it but haven't read about it.

I have cold showers in the spring and summer but not winter.  I don't know that I feel any benefit from them, they are hard  ;D but I hear it's healthy so I do it.

What are supposed to be the benefits?

jorainbow

I turn my shower to cool (or very cold if feeling brave) in a morning. It was a suggestion from DARE response years ago which is an anxiety recovery book. I found it really wakes my system up and I feel less sluggish.

RebJT

A cold bath with a bag of party ice from the supermarket would do the trick. 

Also walking on the lawn in your bare feet if you can stand it is good (or lying on a frosty lawn in your bra and pants, which I have been known to do under cover of darkness, very good for anxiety!).  All good for nervous system regulation. 

Also switching from a shower as hot as you can stand it to as cold as you can stand it, alternately, is good if you have a shower.  With the shower the trick is to focus on 'being with the water' if you know what I mean, so trying to focus on the sensations on where the water meets the body (rather than being stuck in your head of 'jesus God that's cold!').

Takes practice but I can just about do 5 mins in a cold shower.

laszla

I can't manage it on my body as I am very prone to feel the cold - admire those who can - but I have been surprised at how effective a few long dunks of my face into a bowl of iced water are. It's remarkably calming and a very easy thing to incorporate into one's daily routine.

Perinowpost

Swimming in the sea does the same thing. Once you get past the first 45 seconds you feel wonderful x