Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Gina v Vagifem  (Read 2947 times)

Mousie

Gina v Vagifem
« on: January 10, 2023, 05:43:38 PM »

Apologies for this post if info is out there but when I did a search for 'Gina' I got every post that mentioned 'vagina'pop up!  ;D

Can I ask options on both these estrogen pessary tablets please? Is there much of a difference?
I ask because Gina can be bought without prescription and as I have to wait 3wks for the Dr to call me about being prescribed Vagifem (clearly VA isn't considered that important in the scheme of things  ::)) I looked to see what alternative there was that I could start straight away. Or is it better to wait until the phone call?

Thanks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Gina v Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 05:52:47 PM »

See what you mean  ::)

Is there a Nurse Practitioner at your Surgery to speak to?  U do not need an exam as VA should be treated by symptoms.  3 weeks is far too long so a letter to the Practice Manager as well as your local MP is in order.  NHS is open for business.  Apparently!

If I had symptoms I would buy over the counter in the mean time and if the product works, not bother with speaking to that GP.  'sylc' and 'yes' as well as ovestin can work well as moisturisers for the outer labita.

Let us know how you get on.

Dierdre

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 06:00:36 PM »

The ingredients are the same and both Gina and Vagifem are made by the same company, Nova Nordisk. Gina is made for OTC sale and Vagifem is on prescription.
The only difference is the cost.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 06:07:02 PM by Dierdre »

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 06:25:52 PM »

Also to confirm they are the same product. Gina is available to buy over the counter for women over 50.

Mousie

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 06:53:31 PM »

Thanks everyone. That's interesting that they're made by the same company.

CLKD not sure if our surgery has a nurse practitioner. We are new to them as new to the area. I'll find out, tho I did put on my e consult form I wanted to talk to someone with experience of womens issues/menopause....reply just said a dr would call me.

I'll buy some Gina and start using it....3wks is a long time with VA!  :-\ :)

Ellie O

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 07:15:05 PM »

Hi ladies. I was recently prescribed Estradiol 10 mcg Vaginal Tablets (generic), produced by Mercury Pharmaceuticals. They are with reusable applicators- better for the planet.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 07:31:02 PM »

They're mayB info on the Surgery website. 

Ellie O

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 09:38:29 PM »

Hi ladies. I was recently prescribed Estradiol 10 mcg Vaginal Tablets (generic), produced by Mercury Pharmaceuticals. They are with reusable applicators- better for the planet.

Ingredients are exactly like of Vagifem.

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 11:14:39 PM »

Apologies for this post if info is out there but when I did a search for 'Gina' I got every post that mentioned 'vagina'pop up!  ;D

Can I ask options on both these estrogen pessary tablets please? Is there much of a difference?
I ask because Gina can be bought without prescription and as I have to wait 3wks for the Dr to call me about being prescribed Vagifem (clearly VA isn't considered that important in the scheme of things  ::)) I looked to see what alternative there was that I could start straight away. Or is it better to wait until the phone call?

Thanks!
I have heard that pharmacies will only allow post menopausal women to buy Gina, not peri menopausal women. I don't know why since VA started well before that for me.