Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Late to hrt!  (Read 1021 times)

Mag22

Late to hrt!
« on: January 17, 2023, 11:52:01 AM »

I’ve finally taken the plunge after early menopause, bilateral salpingoopherectomy and several horrendous experiences with hrt. My body hurt so much and my mind is mush so I decided to give it one more go
I’m only a week in and doing one pump of oestrogen gel and 100mg utrogestan vaginally as I don’t really tolerate it. So far I slept better and hurt less but have major cramps, definitely womb although it’s been a long time since I’ve had a period.
I’m trying to put up with it but it could be a deal breaker if it carries on at this level.
I’m thinking of alternating one day off one day on hrt, is that a legitimate option worth trying or is it better to push through   I’m assuming all these hormones are a big shock to my system so I can accept it will take time. 
Appreciate any opinions, experiences advice

Mary G

Re: Late to hrt!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 01:06:21 PM »

Well done for taking the plunge!

I am also using one pump of Oestrogel but I am safely taking 50mg progesterone every day and it's working well - womb lining just below the 5mm danger line.

I believe the Newson clinic suggest taking 100mg Utrogestan vaginally every other day and apparently that is well tolerated by many women so perhaps you could give it a try?

Mag22

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 02:00:50 PM »

Thanks, I will try that I’m trying to get away with as little as possible to keep the bone and muscle aches and brain mush at bay!

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 02:34:24 PM »

On the low dose of oestrogen you're on this should be OK though the manufacturer still thinks it should be 200. If you go above 2 pumps it might be worth either increasing utro or having a scan after a few months to check there is no build up.