Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Studying and Menopause!!  (Read 1011 times)

Cags123

• First Flush
Studying and Menopause!!
« on: January 15, 2023, 01:26:16 PM »

Hi!

I'm 48 and studying - nightmare time to do it  ;D I'm in 3rd year of my undergraduate course and on HRT but brain fog gets the better of me. I can be half way through a sentence, whether talking or typing, and forget what I was trying to say! Does anyone have any good tips on how to improve the brain fog and increase concentration? I had to defer Christmas exams because the combination of brain fog, zero concentration, rubbish sleep, loss of confidence (I've always scored pretty well in my essays but I have actual 'fear' now at trying to put one together because I feel constantly muddled), looking after my family and a bit of part time work thrown in became all too much and my anxiety (which I've never had before menopause) went through the roof. In a nutshell, I haven't put myself first and perhaps need to be a bit more 'selfish'.

I'm looking at MCT oil and magnesium - has anyone tried it and has it been effective? Appreciate any advice.

Thanks ladies!

sheila99

Re: Studying and Menopause!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 02:27:52 PM »

Are you on HRT? If not it might be worth a chat with your gp. IMO oestrogen deficiency is best cured by adding the oestrogen you no longer produce yourself.

Cags123

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 02:37:30 PM »

Hi

Yeah, I'm on Evorel Sequi patches. I had terrible monthly 'periods' with them the first 6 or 7 months - I literally could not go out the house and would require a clothes change it was so bad. Missed a bleed. Back to bleeding. In fact, I think I may have missed a bleed again. I'm all over the place!

I just need to look at a biscuit and put on a 1lb. I've put on weight and it's near impossible to shift. I've started drinking de-caff tea and coffee and increased my water intake to see if that helps too. More sleep and some light exercise through an app. Just need some better weather to get back out gardening and put a spring in our step.

Thanks x

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 02:45:02 PM »

As you still have meno symptoms you need to increase the dose. You could use a 75 oestrogen only patch with a separate progestogen such as utrogeston or a mirena. A mirena is usually the best option to stop problem bleeding. It isn't unusual to need more oestrogen as your own production dwindles.

Zoe

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 07:41:52 PM »

It would be worth getting your testosterone levels checked. I found that testosterone helped with brain fog. You might need to have it done privately sincr many GPs won't test for testosterone levels in women. But have a look at various threads on this forum.