Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Help! Worried about irregular period  (Read 675 times)

Julesricha45

• First Flush
Help! Worried about irregular period
« on: January 09, 2023, 04:56:03 AM »

Hi.
I’m 45 and since October have been having irregular periods in that they are happening twice a month. The latest change is that i seem to be experiencing a never ending period and Dr Google is well….. not very helpful and giving me worst case scenario.

I was on day 8 and it was finally slowing down and finishing. Then that night, I go to the loo and it seems to have started again. Is this a perimenopause thing?

I’m seeing my GP in just over a week but am really worried this isn’t normal? Help!
X

Dotty

Re: Help! Worried about irregular period
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 07:33:42 AM »

Hi yes that sounds like normal for peri menopause x

VanillaLover

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 08:46:08 AM »

Hiya, I have exactly the same problem!  Last few “cycles” if you can call them that have been 16-21 days. Also getting longer ….last one was 11 days. Now at day 17 and spotting and period pains again.
Luckily they are getting lighter. I also missed one completely in summer. Have the occasional reasonable length one thrown in there too.

I too have doctors appointment booked for a weeks time. Just to check as I have started to worry about it.

Julesricha45

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 08:48:09 AM »

Really? Did this happen to you? Dr Google says it’s poss the big C with very little info generally. How did you deal with it - am hoping that is what it is and the doc can give me something as am sick of it. Thank you for replying too x

Julesricha45

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 08:52:05 AM »

Vanillalover- me too! It’s worrying isn’t it. I was so happy when I thought it was done and wham, back again that night and full whack. And also like you, my cycle has been getting shorter with the same amount of days as you.
Let us know how you get on at the docs?
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 09:52:17 AM »

What does Dr GOOGLE know about anything unless one reads the NHS sites?

My periods waxed and waned for years, I knew it was The Change so was never worried.  I would miss months then go back to a monthly routine.  I would have 3 days on, 3 days off ........ it varied until eventually periods stopped = menopause.

Mainly my blood was bright red = fresh.  At others brown which means that it's old, having hung around inside as there weren't enough hormones to cleanse the area.  Again, 'normal' for me.

When did U last have a smear test, you could make an appt. and discuss The Change with the Nurse.  Who may not be aware  ::)

Ask away!   :welcomemm:

VanillaLover

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 10:34:36 AM »

The cycle changes started 3-3.5 years ago …. I knew it was odd so I started writing stuff down! I am now nearly 47.

Even a few years ago I was getting the 16 day cycles occasionally (presume annovulatory breakthrough bleeding).

Then a while of longer cycles over the years, 35 days or whatever….mixed in with short cycles….varies so much!

Then went 57 days over summer which was NICE! I normally get bad period pains and feel ill during periods. Since then mainly very short cycles, 21 days or less and period lasting longer and longer with spotting after they had finished. Not as painful and lighter.

I’m mainly wanting to check that it’s not harmful in terms of anaemia and stuff to be honest. Although they are lighter for me, they are still medium flow I would say.

I also know I have at least one fibroid (from when I had my youngest) so perhaps check that that hasn’t grown huge or anything.

Not really worried about cancer per se ….. smear test up to date, I doubt my lining is getting thick as I am bleeding for ten days every two weeks!

The NHS site does say to see a dr if cycles less than 21 days or last longer than 7 days so I thought I’d do the right thing and get checked.

I use a mooncup so I don’t need to worry about buying pads or tampons or changing often or anything.

It is a BIT of a nuisance though I must admit !!!

Julesricha45

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 12:36:48 PM »

See this is where I worry. I’m not up to date with smears at all - don’t shout - I had a nurse who is still the only one at my practice, make a comment during the one I had years ago and let’s say it wasn’t very kind and has scarred me and have not had one since.  Plus I don’t do well with tests…
I’m genuinely scared but I am an over thinker and worrier. My GP appointment seems so far away but it is only a week and I need to just to stay calm…. I have IBS so that’s kicking off too. Gosh aren’t women unlucky!
I suppose my original post was searching for reassurance and for someone to say yep,that’s peri and I’ve had it.  X

Flossieteacake

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 12:44:54 PM »

See this is where I worry. I’m not up to date with smears at all - don’t shout - I had a nurse who is still the only one at my practice, make a comment during the one I had years ago and let’s say it wasn’t very kind and has scarred me and have not had one since.  Plus I don’t do well with tests…
I’m genuinely scared but I am an over thinker and worrier. My GP appointment seems so far away but it is only a week and I need to just to stay calm…. I have IBS so that’s kicking off too. Gosh aren’t women unlucky!
I suppose my original post was searching for reassurance and for someone to say yep,that’s peri and I’ve had it.  X

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience during your smear test. It is hard when having anxiety and also IBS. I know mine gets really bad when I am anxious. You have had some great advice on here. I think your symptoms are very common in peri too and have read so many members sharing the same symptoms you have.

I find when googling any symptoms they always point to cancer! I have no idea why that is but please do not let it worry you. This forum is a far more reliable site. :)

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 12:45:46 PM »

So yep - within normal limits from where I'm sitting.

MayB take a list of your worries with you to the appt.?  Also, do get your smear test done.  Not comfy but there are a few ways of taking the sample, last time the Nurse used a brush  ::)

VanillaLover

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 01:31:17 PM »

If you explained the problem with the nurse or just even weren’t specific and just said you were anxious and had a bad experience -  I’m sure the GP would do it for you instead. I have had a GP offer to do it when she happened to notice it was due and just did it there and then. Not sure if that would help?

I’m sure you would feel better if you got that problem out of the way at least?

Sometimes medical professionals don’t realise the impact of their (to them) throwaway comments. When they should take more care!

Julesricha45

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 05:57:48 PM »

Can I just say what a lovely group you all are. Taking the time to read and respond. Am so lucky to have found this site. I am seeing the GP a week tomorrow. I will stay away from Google and take my list and query the smear (altho it’s a male doc so maybe I will ask he books me in with another female GP).  Thank you all SO much xx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 06:40:09 PM »

I much prefer a male GP to take a smear, however: our GPs don't do them, the chore has been passed to the Nurse Practitioner.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 06:47:50 PM »

Can I just say what a lovely group you all are. Taking the time to read and respond. Am so lucky to have found this site. I am seeing the GP a week tomorrow. I will stay away from Google and take my list and query the smear (altho it’s a male doc so maybe I will ask he books me in with another female GP).  Thank you all SO much xx

That is such a lovely message to read. :) Good luck for your appointment and please keep us updated.