Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Sister had breast cancer this year...would you go back on HRT?  (Read 534 times)

Noheroicsplease

Sister had breast cancer this year...would you go back on HRT?
« on: January 09, 2023, 02:04:55 PM »

I stopped periods early, around 46. I was on HRT...then came off...then went back on...then came off again in June when one of my sisters was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a mastectomy and is doing well.

I thought coming off HRT was prudent, even though her most recent check up with the oncologist - a highly regarded consultant - said that he didn't think there was any links with her being on HRT and getting breast cancer, even though her breast was 'busy' with different cancers.

However, I have just found out that my osteopenia has worsened to osteoporosis in my neck of femor (hip). I am only 53 and I'm pretty upset by this news. I'm very active and take good care of myself.

However, I'm obviously going to have step it up even more if I am to stabilize it and avoid the medication.

So, my question is - should I consider going back on HRT? I don't even know who to speak to or what I can read? The GP will tell me that if they put the stats into their app, the risk is still very low. But familiar wins over distance, if that makes sense.

I would never have considered it except for the OP but I do think i need to balance out all the risks.

jaypo

Re: Sister had breast cancer this year...would you go back on HRT?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 02:21:40 PM »

Hi there, I would never advise you on whether to take HRT or not but I have a friend who's sister had bc and my friend has been on HRT for 25 years and is ok.
Also I have a lot of bc in my family,mum,her sister and their mother,all had mastectomies, I have recently been diagnosed with osteopenia and really did consider HRT(never been on it) but a friend of mine helped me with my decision, I could indeed go on HRT and be fine for the rest of my days OR what if I went on it and developed bc,would I regret it big time or would I have developed bc regardless,it really is one big gamble,hence not advising.
Did you take anything for your osteopenia? I'm on Accrete (vit d & calcium) which my Dr prescribed.
So sorry about your sister,hope she makes a full recovery x

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 02:30:04 PM »

Hi have a look at “Oestrogen Matters” by Avrum Bluming.

Noheroicsplease

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 08:58:31 PM »

I've read 'Oestrogen Matters'. THe section on the bones has outdated research - one paper they cite is 1989!

I do take Accrete but I'm switching to a much better, easier to absorb calcium

Perinowpost

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 09:04:07 PM »

My best friend died of breast cancer 2 years ago, she’d never taken hrt. Meanwhile her best friends (me and one other) are doing well on hrt. I think the risk factors are more to do with genetics and body weight tbh. If I had osteopenia I would definitely take it, you can always monitor it closely. Wishing you well xx