Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Confused  (Read 1015 times)

Kimw

• First Flush
Confused
« on: January 06, 2023, 12:49:05 PM »

My last period was in August 2019. I'm overjoyed not to have to go through all that pain and mess ever again! Menopause could not come early enough for me.

However, I still get hot flushes and am not sleeping well at all. I'm OK with this to an extent (hey, no periods yippee!!). But my my GP is of the opinion that this is an issue and has told me to come to this website for advice.

Help?  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 12:57:17 PM »

Hi!  well done on getting here and well done your GP !

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary to use to chart progress.   Flushes may well recede - I had cold waves of feelings for about 8 months then that stopped, from my waist upwards after my bath; as well as itching in the same area .........

R the flushes related to your lack of sleep, i.e. do they wake you in the night.  As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out; skin, vagina, scalp, between the toes, deep in the ears, nostrils eyes ........ so beware of vaginal atrophy: do read the 'bladder issues' thread. Muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  The Change - does what it says on the tin.  ::)

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Ask.  Join in .......... how much of 'an issue' do you find symptoms?  HRT can help in some cases. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 01:22:55 PM »

Hello Kimw. Welcome to the forum. I know many assume we will no longer have any symptoms once reaching post meno but that is not the case. Members often begin HRT during post meno to help with the unwanted symptoms.

It is great your GP knows about this forum.  :)

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 01:58:46 PM »

As it's more than a year since your last bleed if you decide on hrt it should be a continuous (conti) regime so you still won't have a bleed - but you might be able to sleep  :)

Kimw

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 05:52:34 PM »

Well, thanks for frightening me -- I went to bed worried about Vaginal Atrophy- something I'd never heard of and desperately wish I now didn't know!  Great mental health awareness girls!!!

This forum is sooooooo confusing. Yes, I can spend days reading about hot flushes. But no, I won't. I have a life to live.   It was my GP who thought I shouldn't be having Hot flushes at 60.

So far, all I can say is that my GP made a BIG MISTAKE directing me to here. Or was just wimping out of giving me proper advice.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 06:12:21 PM »

WOW!  U did ask .........  :-\ what did U expect to learn? 

Your GP is one of few that know about MM, her lack of knowledge is probably why she recommended us.  Perhaps ask her.  The Change is natural but can throw up all kinds of symptoms.  None of which may last for too long or may require treatment. 

What gave your GP the idea that a woman 'shouldn't be having hot flushes at 60'  :-\.  I doubt if any GPs wimp out, it's usually lack of knowledge about perimenopause. 

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 06:21:09 PM »

Hi Kimw. I'm sure nobody wanted to frighten you but surely it is good to know that there is a way to ward off the VA rather than wait until things are so uncomfortable. You may never suffer from it especially as you have reached 60 with no discomfort.

If the hot flushes don't bother you then you have no need to try to address them. I couldn't bear the frequent changes of clothes while at work due to drenching sweats and started HRT. Friends are still having hot flushes/no sleep in their seventies. They have chosen not to use HRT but at least they have the knowledge from this forum. Your GP wasn't wimping out but merely directing you to a huge amount of information which may be of help to you over the upcoming years as you go further into meno.

I'm hoping that you will not suffer from VA and that your flushes will stay manageable but should you ever need any advice on how best to deal with symptoms someone will be here to advise.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 06:31:35 PM »

I've spoken to several women lately who would 'rather not know' ........ 4warned is 4armed.  Taking experiences which can be stored away until it's necessary to consider, many may never need to consider how others have coped.

What's so scary?   :-\

Gilla999

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2023, 06:33:44 PM »

Agree with you totally CLKD!

Nas

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2023, 07:48:19 PM »

Haven’t you heard of the phrase “Knowledge is power” Kimw?

VA is one bad boy you DON’T want to be ignoring. It’s painful, and damaging.

This site is an excellent source of information. Take it or leave it, it’s your call 😊
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 07:50:09 PM by Nas »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2023, 08:13:51 PM »

What's the worst information you could glean from 'ladies that know'?  MayB there are also some 'ladies that lunch' too ;-). 

Kimw

• First Flush
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2023, 01:22:01 PM »

My GP happens to be male BTW.  I do hope you allow that on this forum!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 03:28:51 PM »

My GP happens to be male BTW.  I do hope you allow that on this forum!

Hello Kimw. I feel we may have gotten off on the wrong foot. I am really sorry posts caused you to be anxious. I understand what a difficult time this can be and I hope you feel able to use the forum for support. I think we are all different when it comes to this journey and while some like to know as much information as possible, I appreciate for others it is overwhelming.

Nobody wanted to upset you and I hate to think you are feeling worse after posting.

I too have a male GP. :)

Ayesha

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2023, 04:27:00 PM »

They say getting old is not for the faint hearted. How lucky you were to have a doctor that knew about this forum because believe me there is nothing worse than ignorance when suffering the worst effects of the menopause. Of course not all women need or require help and they are the very lucky ones.

I could have avoided doses of antibiotics, worried sick I had a prolapse, weeks of painful discomfort to be eventually diagnosed with chronic Vaginal Atrophy, a condition I had never heard off. If I had known beforehand about this forum, I would have known exactly what was wrong with me and I have learned everything about the condition from this forum, learned about products to buy  to use alongside the prescribed VA treatment, again product names I had never heard of. It’s been a massive learning curve reading the informative posts on the forum.

Knowledge is empowering, don’t be frightened of it!  But anyway, if in the future you start to suffer with adverse symptoms of the menopause, I would highly recommend you bookmark this forum for future reference. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 04:30:40 PM by Ayesha »

Nas

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2023, 04:40:24 PM »

Sorry, but I think you are being a bit rude Kimw. This forum is an amazing source of knowledge and information.