Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Gastro Esophagul Reflux Disease  (Read 6978 times)

Katty

Re: Gastro Esophagul Reflux Disease
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2023, 02:24:14 PM »

No I never did get investigated by camera etc. 17 years ago I'd actually had the problem for a couple of years before I got a diagnosis. The immediate assumption was that I had gall bladder issues. I had that scanned and was negative. A new doctor joined the surgery and because he'd had an ulcer himself he recognised my symptoms and diagnosed Gerd. I've been managing it since. Things flared up in lockdown and I've gained a stone in weight which probably hasn't helped. I doubt I'll be put forward for any tests given the crisis in the NHS. I'm just trying to find a way forward now

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 02:27:10 PM »

Hiatus hernia is common in peri-menopause due to laxity of muscles allowing gastric juices back up because the spincter has lost its strength. 

Katty

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2023, 03:14:57 PM »

Incredible isn't it the menopause is so wide reaching. I never had any gastric issues when younger not even indigestion

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2023, 04:20:07 PM »

It's The Change - I suppose when younger going into menstruation was more supported?  Even if we didn't know what to expect, most girls went there within 12 months of each other.

Kathleen

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2023, 04:27:33 PM »

Hello ladies.

I am also amazed that the pharmacist recommended Dr Berg who is well known on YouTube as being unqualified and just plain wrong on so many subjects. He is not an MD but  a Chiropractor and actual Doctors often point out his errors.

Having said that I wonder if this condition can be helped by a change of diet?  I understand that animal products are more difficult to digest meaning they stay in the stomach for longer and this puts pressure on the acid producing cells and the valve.  Perhaps sufferers could try a plant based diet for a short time to see if this helps?

I only know one person who has been on these drugs for years and as far as I know his only side effect has been a low sodium level which made him very ill before it was diagnosed. He now has his GP monitor his levels.

I realise that most people don't want to change a diet that they are happy with but perhaps it will only take a small lifestyle tweak to help reduce symptoms so perhaps worth a try.

If anyone does tackle this condition with dietary changes it would be interesting to know of they work.

Wishing you all well ladies.

K.

Stella2

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2023, 09:38:34 AM »

So interesting Katty that your pharmacist said so. I suffer myself and researched online a lot, not wanting to stay on omeprazole. I did a sodium bicarbonate test that I found online and it indicated that my acid is low rather than high.
I take now apple cider vinegar at least 15 min before a meal once a day (one spoonful in a glass of water, drinking with a straw to preserve enamel on my teeth). I also try to eat slowly what I didn't used to do, all to increase the acid.
I also do breathing exercises that I found online to strengthen my diaphragm.

Stella2

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2023, 11:46:15 AM »

I forgot to say that I don't agree with Dr Berg, I was just searching for good ideas for natural products that could help. I am a vegetarian and find it quite sad that I can't eat tinned tomatoes anymore...

Katty

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2023, 11:25:02 PM »

After a really rough few days where I was waking at 4am with mouthfulls of  acid I had another consultation and it looks like I'll be on Lanszoprazole 30mg indefinitely. I've lost the battle. My oesophagus feels like it's burned and it's unbearable. The acid is present whether or not I've eaten recently. It's beginning to look like there may be a hiatial hernia as nothing makes a difference. I expect the doctor sees no point in confirming that because the treatment is the same. Thanks for all your help particularly on Dr Berg. The pharmacist pulled up one of his videos while I was in the store and really recommended him. I had never heard of him before.

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023, 07:26:04 AM »

Hopefully the 30mg will work. I was diagnosed with hiatus hernia by endoscopy following the same symptoms as you. I had to have 40mg omeprazole for sixteen weeks then a follow up endoscopy before being dropped down to 20mg. Now and again I have a return of the night time waking up with a mouth full of acid (horrible!) and I up the dose for a couple of weeks. I think it depends on age as to whether you are referred for endoscopy. I was over 55.

What time of day have you been advised to take the ppi?

Taz x

Ayesha

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2023, 09:22:32 AM »

As you are going to be on PPI's long term check out supplements like VD-3, Zinc, B12 and Calcium, although calcium gave me reflux but you might be different.

Supplements will help with the side effects of taking the PPI's.

Katty

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2023, 11:33:29 AM »

I have been advised to take it first thing in the morning 30 to 60 minutes before eating. I'm 60 now Taz2 so maybe they won't investigate as it wouldn't change the treatment. I suspect it might be a hiatial hernia. It's quite incredible how many people are on this medication.

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2023, 11:42:51 AM »

I'm surprised you haven't been given an endoscopy to be honest. It's not really to check that the diagnosis of hiatus hernia is correct but to rule out the pre-cancerous changes which can occur in the oesophagus due to damage from the acid. It's also a good idea to find out which type of hiatus hernia it is. Mine is a sliding one.

I take mine as soon as I wake up too.

Taz x

Katty

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2023, 09:58:16 AM »

I'm looking into supplements to offset the effects of Lanszoprazole. One thing occurred to me, if Lanszoprazole  prevents the absorption of certain vitamins and minerals from food through the gut wouldn't it also be the same for oral supplements? I know many vitamins have sprays now so a multivitamin spray might be a start as that's transdermal absorption in the mouth. I haven't found one that includes magnesium though that you just spray in the mouth. Am I getting too anal about this? 😁

Taz2

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2023, 11:36:06 AM »

Yes that's what my GP explained. I did mention this before on a thread. I'll try to find the link I used and post on here.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2023, 11:59:27 AM »

There seems to be much confusion around the subject of supplementing B12 when on a PPI and, according to my GP, understanding is still developing. I have copied this from a medical forum - I couldn't post the whole discussion.

The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust
PPIs may reduce B12 absorption from natural food. This is because B12 in food is protein-bound. Gastric acid and pepsin are required to break the bond and liberate B12. The next crucial step is for the B12 to bind to intrinsic factors (IFs). Only then B12 will be absorbed.
My theory is : If B12 in modified or fortified supplements (unlike the one in natural food) was not protein bound, and if IFs are intact, then B12 can potentially be reliably absorbed in individuals on PPI therapy.

This link is concerning the absorption of magnesium. It is very detailed but if you scroll down to the 3.3 section it gives findings on trying to restore magnesium in severely affected patients. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/apha.13846?af=R

There is also some discussion around the nasal route for supplementation of B12 which would be absorbed well. The whole subject of whether or not various acid depleting medications do rob the body of nutrients is still very hazy.

Taz x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4