Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Gastro Esophagul Reflux Disease  (Read 6977 times)

Katty

Gastro Esophagul Reflux Disease
« on: January 07, 2023, 07:27:15 PM »

I was diagnosed with this 17 years ago and have managed it with Lanszoprazole, Ranitidine ( now withdrawn) and Famotidine. Now I am 60 and things appear to be getting worse. I just had a month on Lanszoprazole 30mg and felt so much better apart from the wind problem. I came off 7 days ago and am managing the withdrawal with Famotidine which is not as effective. I know Lanszoprazole and the other PPI'S are not a great idea long term but I am getting to the stage with it where quality of life is impaired. I don't want to go for a walk, do housework, move around very much due to the acid. I wanted to ask is anyone else on here on Lanszoprazole or another ppi permanently? Have you been ok?

Flossieteacake

Re: Gastro Esophagul Reflux Disease
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 07:31:51 PM »

Hello Katty. I really am sorry to hear of what you are going through. I take lanzaprazole as I have a hiatal hernia and I cannot cope without it. Once I tried to stop taking it and became in a lot of pain. I understand your concerns about taking it long time. I believe quality of life is more important. I think I have taken it for about 10 years now, possibly more.

Katty

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 09:28:35 PM »

Thanks for your response. What dose are you on? I've just come off 30mg a day which was very effective. I'm just wondering whether to approach the doctor about staying on that or if it will be too high a dose long term. Thanks

Ayesha

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 10:48:12 PM »

I have been on Omeprazole 40mg for about 4 years and to compensate for any possible side effects I take supplements and exercise every day.
So far I am doing well on them with no major side effects. 

Katty

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 11:44:17 PM »

Thanks that's reassuring

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 10:31:26 AM »

Thanks for your response. What dose are you on? I've just come off 30mg a day which was very effective. I'm just wondering whether to approach the doctor about staying on that or if it will be too high a dose long term. Thanks

I am also on 30mg. You could try a lower dose if you wanted to and see if it is effective enough.

Katty

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 09:27:23 PM »

Now I'm confused again. I'd always thought Famotidine which is a H2 blocker was less invasive than Lanszoprazole. I suspected that PPI'S like Lanszoprazole were pushed because they were cheaper. I decided to talk to a pharmacist. He confirmed that Lanszoprazole can be obtained by the NHS for under £5 per 28. Famotidine is nearer £35 per 28. I had always worried about long term effects. The pharmacist said that in future there will be an explosion of people with issues due to long term use of all of these medications. Bone density issues and effects in the brain leading to dementia. He said that the problem is low acid and people need to increase acid just before eating. This triggers the oesophageal sphincter to close keeping acid down. This is going down the cider vinegar route which I had heard of but there are other methods. He told me of a Dr Berg who has videos on YouTube on acid reflux. I'm all over the place now not knowing which is the best way to go. Lanszoprazole through GP because they are reluctant with the cost of Famotidine. Famotidine purchased by myself or none of them and apple cider vinegar. I tried that once but didn't preserve due to the taste. Apple cider vinegar I'm going to have to take before every meal which isn't a great start to a meal. On the other hand the other effects are worring regarding bone density and dementia. What a choice yet so many people have been on the medication for years. Are they really all bonkers and bent over?😂

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 09:33:52 PM »

It is true that PPI's can effect bone density and people are advised to take calcium. Taking oestrogen will also help protect the bones. I believe not treating acid reflux can damage the oesophagus because before I knew I had a hiatus hernia I had very bad acid reflux and an endoscopy found I have oesophagitis. I think any medication can have side effects but you have to do what is right for you. I will always take lansoprazole as I believe in quality of life. 

I think you need to do what you feel is right because getting different advice seems to be making you feel very confused which is understandable. You said your symptoms were under control until you stopped the lansoprazole which indicates it was helping you. Perhaps a chat with your GP to discuss your concerns may be helpful. :)

Just to add, I found out Dr Berg is not a licenced Dr and a lot of his teachings is pseudoscience. I am quite shocked the pharmacist recommended him to you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 09:40:52 PM by Flossieteacake »

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 10:35:36 PM »

Quality of life for me too and trying to avoid any more damage is essential for me.
All medicines have side effects and as I said previously, I take supplements to hopefully ward off long term side effects of the PPI.

Agree, the pharmacist was being irresponsible in his advice.

Katty

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 10:58:19 PM »

Thank you. You have reassured me. I did wonder about some of the things the pharmacist said and had not heard of Dr Berg before. Funnily enough the pharmacist said he also was against pain killers because we need to let our body deal with pain etc. One day he wanted to open a shop with all plant based cures. You may have saved me from a life drinking vinegar 😂

CrispyChick

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2023, 08:01:30 AM »

Hey

I had a recent post up about gastritis. My pain seems to he calming, but I still feel refluxy. Not sure if reflux and gastritis are classed as the same?!

Anyway, I have famotidine. However, in this instance if I rage it my pain gets worse and I get terrible heartburn. I'm better not on it.

So I did wonder if that meant my problem was low acid. So I took an hcl tablet - but I swear I was worse after that. I'm too scared to try that again.

So I'm taking zinc l carnosine. I'm not seeing much benefit from it yet, but it says it can take 8 weeks. Look into that and the studies around it, if you would rather get off the ppi. It seems in Japan they prescribe it for these issues.

X

Flossieteacake

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2023, 09:03:48 AM »

Thank you. You have reassured me. I did wonder about some of the things the pharmacist said and had not heard of Dr Berg before. Funnily enough the pharmacist said he also was against pain killers because we need to let our body deal with pain etc. One day he wanted to open a shop with all plant based cures. You may have saved me from a life drinking vinegar 😂

For a pharmacist to say our bodies need to deal with pain and not agree with painkillers I think you should avoid the place they work!

Katty

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2023, 09:09:54 PM »

Honestly we talked for ages and I began to feel silly about taking either Lanszoprazole or Famotidine. I suppose I needed a bit of balance again so came on here

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2023, 09:22:28 PM »

I think that as things are changing then you should get this checked out if you haven't already. I am on omeprazole for hiatus hernia induced reflux. I left it for some time before getting investigations and by then had a quite severely ulcerated oesophagus which took six months on high dose omeprazole to sort out. Had a bit of a lecture from the endoscopy wielding doc!  It's really not worth self diagnosing. Have you had an endoscopy in the last seventeen years?

Taz x  :hug:

losttheplot

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 09:55:03 PM »

I tried Lanszoprazole, omeprazole, pantoprazole and one beginning with E? and also ranitidine, and they all made my skin itch. Dr put me on Famotidine and it did nothing for my gastritis or my reflux (didn't itch either) So when it was suggested I try rabeprazole I was reluctant, thinking it would make me itch, it didn't and I'm still taking it. It keeps my symptoms at bay.
Apparently I have excess bile, probably caused by having my gallbladder removed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4