Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Restart HRT  (Read 1278 times)

CatlinH

• First Flush
Restart HRT
« on: January 06, 2023, 05:09:31 PM »

Hello everyone
Apologies for the long post.
I would appreciate some advice before approaching GP to discuss HRT.
Originally, I was prescribed Evoral Sequi patches in 2015, which I took for around 3 years. Eventually, 20mg Citalopram was added in.Most of my menopause symptoms were emotional. Low mood, anger, and crippling anxiety.  I felt much better.I then moved house and changed GP, who was against HRT, and she advised me to stop the HRT in 2018. I went along with it and weaned myself off citalopram too.
I'm 58 years old now, I have crippling anxiety and low moods most days, I panic about everything inside my head, but I somehow keep going and ride through my fears. All the scenarios I conjure up in my head never materialise, but it's exhausting. Is it realistic to ask for HRT again, at my age? I haven't had bleeding for 7 years.
Kindest regards.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Restart HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 05:29:34 PM »

Your GP needs a  :kick:.  How dare she !

Right:  :welcomemm:.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Your symptoms sound typical of perimenopause.  It is so OK to ask for HRT.  Someone should be along with the type for your to ask for as you haven't had a period for 7 years - you are now in menopause. 

It might be worth while to ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic as GPs and Gynaes don't have much clue about HRT requirements or how symptoms can affect ladies.  Do read the 'bladder issues' thread and those related to vaginal atrophy - 4 warned is 4 armed ;-).

Cripping anxiety can be eased with appropriate treatment, some GPs will use this as the 1st route but HRT is recommended.  However, you could have anti-anxiety treatment and add HRT after 3-4 months once the anxiety has eased. 

Dotty

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 05:32:13 PM »

Yes it’s quite sensible to ask for hrt again x

CatlinH

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 11:31:41 AM »

Thanks to you both for replying. I will take a look at bladder issues thread too.  :)

flossie fiddler

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 11:36:43 AM »

I went back on HRT after an almost 3 year break, age 57 and my sister went back on after a 5 year break age 63.

Neither of us took NO for an answer, and we both feel so much better for it. My sis is lucky that she hasn’t had to tweak the HRT, but I’m still tweaking mine as getting some bleeding (post meno).

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 02:17:14 PM »

Yes, try it again. Anxiety and insomnia were my worst symptoms and it's so debilitating. Why suffer when you don't have to?