Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hair loss - which hormones?  (Read 958 times)

floraljo

Hair loss - which hormones?
« on: January 22, 2023, 03:05:37 PM »

Hi,
My hair is shedding. I'm 41 and depressed about this now.
I'm on estradot 50 - started about 2 months ago. I've tried Utrogestan but not completed a full cycle due to reflux. I'm trying it again this cycle.
My testosterone is low but I've not started replacement.

My hair was thick during pregnancy but shed a lot after.
GP said oestrogen would prevent hair loss but this does not appear to be the case. Did anyone find that progesterone improved hair loss?
And did anyone with low testosterone find replacing it helped? I wonder if my issues imbalance of these hormones. Any help much appreciated.

shoppingqueen

Re: Hair loss - which hormones?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 06:18:26 PM »

Hello floraljo

I’m a bit off piste with your questions so sorry I can’t help with those but was wondering if you have had Iron/ ferritin tested? Also, thyroid function? Low thyroid can cause hair loss as can low ferritin.

X

floraljo

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 06:57:12 PM »

Yes, thyroid, iron and b12 all were tested and fine... although actually ferritin was low end of normal so I will look at a supplement. Thank you

shoppingqueen

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 07:08:28 PM »

Yes low end of normal can cause this. I’m the same. My iron is ok but ferritin low so I’m taking gentle iron just three days a week- you could also try ferrous fumerate but you do have to careful as high iron is not good. If you test regularly keep an eye on it. Also, I don’t know if you’re vegetarian, but chicken liver (pate) 3 times a week helps. It’s a slow process but pretty sure it’s what’s causing mine! There’s a lot on the web about how to increase ferritin through diet. It’ll be interesting to see others’ thoughts on this👍

Mim

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 07:13:20 PM »

Hello

The oestrogen should help but it will take at least 3 months before the shedding stops and another 3 month before there is noticeable growth. Stick with it.

floraljo

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 08:39:04 PM »

Thank you. I'll look into iron supplements and give the oestrogen a bit longer to work. I hope the iron will be the answer.

violetbat

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 01:32:17 PM »

I would suggest you REALLY up your protein levels- try to get 1g per lb of body weight. Doing that made my shedding levels go back to pre peri days, I had been losing so much hair for years and years and nothing made a difference- the protein did though. worth a try? As women get older we need much more protein that when we were younger as the body is not as efficient at using it.

Cara999

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 09:04:21 PM »

My hair has shed so much, I'm 47, I found hrt made my hair loss so much worse, Elleste Duet, so much so I stopped it. All bloods test fine xxx

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 12:27:28 AM »

My hair shedding was found to be due to low vitamin D.

Taz x