Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Menopause or not?  (Read 1646 times)

Whitwortht

• First Flush
Menopause or not?
« on: January 05, 2023, 12:00:23 AM »

I had been on the pill for approximately 25-30 years. I am 52. Dr took me off the pill last year because of my age. I was off for exactly 1 month and took a FSH and it was 50 so he immediately said I was menopause but I still have a period every few months. I have not been 1 year without a period yet. So I got a new Dr and she thinks I’m not quite menopause yet but she wanted to do test to make sure. I had a TVS and all they said was it was very thin. Then I had a abdominal one and they didn’t see anything but lining was 5.8 mm so I am having a biopsy 1/12. She said she thinks I’m just not menopause yet but I have googled and am now scared. Thanks in advance for any info.

Flossieteacake

Re: Menopause or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 09:53:40 AM »

Hello and welcome. I am sorry you are going through this. It does not sound like the drs really know much about menopause. Which pill were you on? I think the mini pill can be continued.

Do you have any other symptoms? It could be you are perimenopausal because menopause is when periods stop and you are still having them.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 10:13:13 AM »

U R perimenopausal.  Your GPs need to update their knowledge.

Perimenopause are the years B4 the final period = menopause. Which is for life.   Literally the last monthly bleed.   No more.  However: Nature can throw in the curved ball so that we need to begin counting from 1, until we have been at least 12 months without any bleeds.

Why did your GP take you off The Pill?  Why if your TVS showed a thin lining did U have an abdominal scan?  :-\

Browse round.  Do read the 'bladder issues' thread and those relating to vaginal atrophy: 4 warned is 4 armed ;-).  Let us know how you get on.

:welcomemm:

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 10:19:42 AM »

I agree with your doctor, I don't think you're menopausal either (one year without a bleed). In peri the thickness of your lining is nothing to worry about, it can be 16mm if they scan just before a bleed. They sent me for one too because aged 60 I had 2 bleeds - they called them 'unexplained bleeding', I called them 'periods'. All was well. Don't worry, I think they've sent you as a belt and braces measure.

Whitwortht

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 12:21:23 PM »

I guess she just wanted to be safe since the first Dr. was so sure I was menopause because of the FSH. I was worried because what if I was menopause and the pill was just hiding it. (Combination pill by the way). I wouldn't think cancer could come on that quickly after stopping the pill could it.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 12:31:20 PM »

I guess she just wanted to be safe since the first Dr. was so sure I was menopause because of the FSH. I was worried because what if I was menopause and the pill was just hiding it. (Combination pill by the way). I wouldn't think cancer could come on that quickly after stopping the pill could it.

Please do not worry you have cancer. You are showing symtoms that are very common in peri.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 02:19:10 PM »

I doubt whether it's cancer.  Even if it is, there are treatments. 

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 04:03:05 PM »

I guess she just wanted to be safe since the first Dr. was so sure I was menopause because of the FSH.

My FSH was 125 but I still had almost regular periods for the next two years. I agree with the others that your symptoms sound spot on for peri menopause so try not to worry.

Taz x   :welcomemm:

Whitwortht

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 05:00:31 PM »

Just wanted to update this post. I finally got my biopsy results and it said “ Atrophic endometrium,no hyperplasia or malignancies. Thank you ladies so much for your knowledge and kindness. ❤️

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 05:03:37 PM »

Just wanted to update this post. I finally got my biopsy results and it said “ Atrophic endometrium,no hyperplasia or malignancies. Thank you ladies so much for your knowledge and kindness. ❤️

This is wonderful news! Thank you for updating us. I am very happy for you. :)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 05:05:52 PM »

Great and tnx for the update!

Do U have any idea what you would like to do for the next few months, bearing in mind that you are still getting periods.