Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Felt fantastic first few days on HRT; didn't last  (Read 1155 times)

Truffles

Felt fantastic first few days on HRT; didn't last
« on: January 06, 2023, 11:20:58 AM »

Hi everyone,

After help from kind people here, I started HRT about three months ago (one pump oestrogel and 100mg Utrogestan daily). At that point, it was two years since I'd had a period and I'd had blood tests done showing my oestrogen was low and my progesterone was very low. Testosterone also was on the low side.

About day three on this regimen, I felt the best I've felt in years - I had mental clarity, a brightness that made me realise I've been mildly depressed, and best of all I had energy and libido. Most of that disappeared after a few days, but the increased brightness /energy continued at a lower level for about a month before disappearing.

I'm wondering why it didn't last. Is this something that's happened to others?

One of the things I'm considering is if my current balance of HRT is wrong for me.  I went up to two pumps of oestrogel a fortnight ago to see if that made a difference, but haven't yet felt any benefit.

I have some other health issues, which may explain it (my main problem being post-viral fatigue), but I'm hoping this is a fairly normal part of the journey and that I can expect to see some more improvement. I'd be very grateful for any input.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Felt fantastic first few days on HRT; didn't last
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 12:37:07 PM »

Morning.   It's Trial and Error sometimes to get HRT to ease symptoms.

Be kind to yourself.  When did U last have a thyroid function and VitD level blood test which may cause fatigue?

You could add an extra pump twice a week to see if symptoms improve.  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

Truffles

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 12:56:26 PM »

Thank you - that's extremely helpful to know re trial and error, as is your suggestion about adding a little extra oestrogen.

I'm hypothyroid and keep a close eye on my levels, including Vitamin D, so I know they're pretty good, but thanks very much for the suggestion.

I really appreciate the help and encouragment.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 12:58:41 PM »

When did U last have an appt with someone overseeing your thyroid issues?  usually the body doesn't get where it is suddenly so adding extra HRT occasionally allows uptake with less changes.  Let us know how you get on .  U could also put the name of the products into the search box: individually: to read any appropriate threads.  Make notes ;-)

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 01:12:31 PM »

Hello Truffles. I find sometimes I feel better on my HRT then other times. I think it is good you increased the osterogel. I hope in time that will help. Sometimes it takes time before knowing if an increase is enough. As you have post viral fatigue I imagine it is effecting you too. I would do any increases slowly as I find when increasing too quickly it can cause side effects.

Truffles

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 01:14:48 PM »

My last appointment with the doctor overseeing my thyroid was two months ago, with my last blood tests directly beforehand.  I have an appointment with her in two months’ time, and am intending to re-test in another few weeks in preparation for the appointment. That’s very interesting re the impact on thyroid meds - I wonder if that might be part of my answer. I may bring my planned test forward. 😀

Very good suggestion re taking notes in my reading; my memory is absolutely terrible these days! Thanks again for the help.

Truffles

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 01:41:23 PM »

Hello Truffles. I find sometimes I feel better on my HRT then other times. I think it is good you increased the osterogel. I hope in time that will help. Sometimes it takes time before knowing if an increase is enough. As you have post viral fatigue I imagine it is effecting you too. I would do any increases slowly as I find when increasing too quickly it can cause side effects.

Thank you, that's most helpful to know!  I'm a bit impatient.  :)  I guess I'll give the two pumps a little longer to settle, and then think about trying an extra one every few days if I don't start to feel brighter on just two. Thanks again.

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 02:13:36 PM »

They say it takes up to 3 months to get the full effect, I think it's right as it took 3 months for my anxiety and insomnia to go completely. I'm not on thyroid meds but I think I read on here that oestrogen can make them less effective. Wrensong is knowledgeable if the search isn't useful. If you increase it would be better to do it by a little each day rather than one pump every few days to avoid spikes. Really recommend increasing slowly though and giving it enough time to work before increasing again (I understand the frustration though, we've all been there).

Truffles

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 02:20:41 PM »

Thank you, Sheila - that's immensely helpful. I guess I'm just being impatient! It was having had that tantalisingly brilliant improvement which then disappeared that's made it a bit tough.

Interesting that HRT can make thyroid hormones less effective. I've just realised that, contrary to my earlier reply, I did a set of thyroid tests a month ago. The serum levels were bang on where they were when I felt so good, but of course that doesn't reflect what's getting into the cells.  You've given me food for thought and more research to do. Thank you very much.