Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mirena Coil - replace?  (Read 1104 times)

Foxtrot56

• First Flush
Mirena Coil - replace?
« on: January 04, 2023, 07:02:46 PM »

Hi everyone
I had my mirena coil removed three weeks ago. I am 56 and had no period for 10 years.
Two weeks ago my mood plummeted, i became lethargic, flat and zero libido!
I am going to chat with the Clinic but wondered if other post menopause women have had the mirena put back in and did you take a oestrogen tablet too. I had this mirena for 5 years and had no oestrogen at all.

I thought, like others on here, that getting to 56 it would be game over for HRT but I certainly dont want to feel like this for the end of my days! All advice and suggestions gratefully received. xx

Flossieteacake

Re: Mirena Coil - replace?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 07:07:34 PM »

Hello Foxtrot. Welcome to the forum. HRT can be taken for life. You are still young. The mirena coil is enough progesterone for HRT and you would not need to take extra if you wanted to try oestrogen.  :)

Foxtrot56

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 07:49:14 PM »

hi there
thanks for speedy response.
So i so wish i hadn't taken it out now...but i guess its an easy thing to get put back in. But i do need to take some oestrogen as well? i am not sure why thats not been prescribed to me before? i use the vagifem pessaries but been told they arent seen as an oestregen supplement.   
I will report back what happens at the Clinic as i live in Dumfries.
Thank you x

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 07:55:26 PM »

As you've had a mirena you probably don't know where you are in meno? Some women aren't meno until their early 60s, I was still mostly regular when I started hrt aged 57.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 07:57:04 PM »

You will need oestrogen if your oestrogen is low. There will be symptoms of that. Vagifem is localised oestrogen and will help with vaginal atrophy. Perhaps your GP did not realise you wanted to try oestrogen.

I hope your appointment goes well.😀

Foxtrot56

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2023, 08:47:52 PM »

hi there
yes i had the vagufem for dryness and now have vagivar = great names!
Yes i think there is an assumption that around start of your 50's that is you done so to speak...but clearly not.
I look forward to getting it sorted soon - hope the waiting list isnt too long.
thanks again

Foxtrot56

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 02:53:19 PM »

Hi all
So the update to this query is this

The removal of a mirena coil will not cause serious mood drops.

So as i am not experiencing any other side effects/ menopause symptoms i can leave well enough.

i am sure that this might contradict others experiences but this is the info i am going with, and time will tell if o do need HRT.

Also i do have an under lying mood disorder so this was not a complete surprise to me and in some ways a relief as i know how to manage the mood swings - except when i forget i have them ha ha

Thanks for all the connectin on here - keep up the good work. Foxtrot56

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 02:59:06 PM »

I believe a drop in progesterone can cause a dip in mood. I am glad you have had your appointment and are happy with how it went. :)