Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Testosterone and bleeding  (Read 664 times)

Nicola Winter

Testosterone and bleeding
« on: December 27, 2022, 10:13:26 AM »

I started testosterone 5 days ago and I'm now experiencing heavy bleeding 5 days after my usual withdrawal bleed. I take 3 pumps of oestrogel daily and 200mg of uterogestan for 25 days then have a break of 5 days. Can testosterone cause breakthrough bleeding does anyone know?

Hurdity

Re: Testosterone and bleeding
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 09:04:21 AM »

Hi Nicola Winter

I have not heard of testosterone causing bleeding at all - it does not stimulate the endometrium. Some people have mentioned on here that sometimes testosterone converts to oestrogen but I have not read any evidence to demonstrate that this occurs, and it did not occur in the trials for the only widely used testosterone product licensed for women (discontinued some years ago ) - the intrinsa patch.

In any case even if it did sometimes convert to oestrogen - the bleeding would not occur that quickly (due to endometrial stimulation and overgrowth of the womb lining).

I would look to other causes of your bleeding, one being that if you are peri-menopausal then your own cycle may override the HRT one, if you ovulated that month. Also other abnormalities eg fibroids or polyp can cause bleeding. If you are concerned then consult the doctor?

Hurdity x

Nicola Winter

Re: Testosterone and bleeding
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 09:04:56 AM »

Thank you! Bleeding stopped but now I'm feeling unsettled and emotional. Kind of unbalanced. I'm hoping this passes.